hardware interface

AxsDeny

Registered
What I'm looking for is a general overview or crash course in writing software to interface with devices (MP3 players, GPS receivers, whatever....) I'm pretty code savvy so anything anyone can start me off with would be helpful.

I recommend you register with the Apple Developer Connection. They send out regular newsletters containing lots of links to various programming resources, and, though I usually skim them ever so briefly, I'm sure hardware is included therein. Otherwise, browse the various coding sites, Google your way around, and do some searching.

have you had a look aroung the basic example that apple includes with the developer tools?

these are few example for USB devices in /Developer/Examples/IOKit

there are also some bluetooth things around there as well.

might get you started

Originally posted by AxsDeny
What I'm looking for is a general overview or crash course in writing software to interface with devices (MP3 players, GPS receivers, whatever....) I'm pretty code savvy so anything anyone can start me off with would be helpful.

They're all programmed differently. There are two issues, programming the interface and programming the device. Things like MP3 players will interface either with USB or Firewire. So first you figure out how to talk to the interface (check the Apple dev kit docs), but then each device will have it's own way of talking on the interface, you'll need to get docs for each particular device. Some devices (like storage devices) follow a standard, again, check the Apple docs (or Intel for USB) for this. Other things like PCI cards require a device driver to be written. First identify the interface that you're primarily interested in and then figure out how to program to that interface and then figure out how to talk to that device.

Back