Has anybody successfully compiled x3270?

sveijk

Registered
Has anybody successfully compiled x3270? It would probably put my boss over the edge on buying a TiBook. He uses x3270 a lot on the RH box I built him.

Any hints?

By taking a brief look at the given documentation, you should be able to compile and install it when your system matches the requirements listed below:

<ul>
<li>Installed XWindow-system</li>
<li>Give HostType in configure-script</li>
</ul>

Maybe there is more to it. But, hey i didn't try it due to the lck o XWindows.

cu:Stray

It's not native, but there's a Classic TN3270 program out there that you could use. Considering XWindows still doesn't share the screen with Aqua (no slam against the guys working their buns off on the XonX project), the Classic option may not be so bad.

-Rob

Originally posted by Straylight23
By taking a brief look at the given documentation, you should be able to compile and install it when your system matches the requirements listed below:

<ul>
<li>Installed XWindow-system</li>
<li>Give HostType in configure-script</li>
</ul>

Maybe there is more to it. But, hey i didn't try it due to the lck o XWindows.

cu:Stray

I should have been more clear. I am running XFree86 4.0.3 with the rootless patches. I successfully ran configure with ppc for a host type. But when I tried to make, it spewed a bunch of preprocessing errors, then puked with an error 1.

Terminal can't emulate a 3270.

( well it can fake it a bit , but 3270 is more than just a cli terminal description - it also impacts on how the user interface interacts with the host . So merely hacking up a termcap file will not cut it in many cases )

Some sort of Terminal Emulator will be required ( I so wish Apple hadn't called Terminal Terminal as people THINK its a Terminal Emulator, when its actually more equivalent to an xterm application )

This is where it dies:

/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_XpmReadFileToPixmap
make: *** [x3270] Error 1

Your missing the xpm library or the linker couldn't find at link time.

<time passes>

This is odd. I just successfully compiled x3270 and there are no references that can see at all for using the xpm library other than for a cygwin botch (which shouldn't matter here).

Originally posted by howardm4
Your missing the xpm library or the linker couldn't find at link time.

<time passes>

This is odd. I just successfully compiled x3270 and there are no references that can see at all for using the xpm library other than for a cygwin botch (which shouldn't matter here).

Yeah, the library in question seems to be libXpm.a, which exists in /usr/X11R6/lib. On the hunch that something was screwing up the lib path set in the makefile, I edited in the explicit path. But it made no difference.

It strikes me as odd that x3270 wants xpm support. Maybe I should just try commenting out the whole section.

I did a google search and went to the x3270 home page adn picked up the latest version. Sorry, I dont recall what it was and I have since deleted it (since we thankfully got rid of our mainframe a long time ago).

Like I said, the need for xpm isn't clear other than for cgywin which just isn't relavent in the OSX case. You could just add
-lxpm or /usr/X11R6/lib/libxpm.a to the final compile/link command to force the issue.

Back