has anyone ported g77?

pfons

Registered
As the subject says - has anyone ported g77 (part of the gcc) compiler package. I downloaded gcc from http://www.gnu.org as well as the new config files for darwin and discovered that gcc is not supported in the 2.95 release (meaning more work than just compiling I guess). I have ported f2c, but it really isn't a substitute as I have code that specifically warns not to use f2c as it will not work. If anyone has gotten gcc to compile that alone will help - the I suppose I can hack out how to compile g77.

I have already downloaded the developer tools. The cc is "based" upon gcc (an old version). They did not port g77, although g++, objective c, and c are there. Unfortunately, I have a large fortran program to compile...

There is a FORTRAN to C converter which tons of FORTRAN programmers use every day. In fact there is even a mac version somewhere.

People have found it works better than g77.

I assume you are referring to f2c from bell laboratories (available from netlib). I have already ported that. You are correct in stating that many people use it, but it is somewhat more fragile than a true fortran compiler (not sure how good g77 is) and in particular in this case as the application is for X11 drivers in a graphics package and f2c is specifically sited as being inadequate, I am looking for something better.

yes, the page http://www-jlc.kek.jp/~fujiik/macosx/memo/index.html is an excellent resource... but
these pages describe how to get g77 etc going
on the macosx Public Beta, not the actual release...

i spent a weekend trying to follow those instructions
anyway and could compile many of the packages, but
i was unable in the end to get gcc w/ g77 to compile
all the way. i got very close, as far as the ld step
near the end, but not all the way... and then i
had to move onto other things...

i'm keeping an ear to the ground though so to speak,
as actual g77 on macosx would also help me... take care....

wjllope:

Sorry to hear that g77 did not work --at this time at least! I do not have a mac and thus I cannot attempt to do anything on it, but since te problem is with ld it could be that either libraries are missing or libraries have been relocated in OSX Final. I am pretty sure that K Fujii will tackle that before Apple release an (official) g77 port...

Google

wjllope,

I think I was having the same problem you are. Try copying the libg2c.a file from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib. My guess is that somehow ld couldn't find it. Now, problem, I can compile a simple program but it chokes on one using the sqrt function?? Missing math library?

peter

monty:

If compilation (linking to be precise) fails when using a function from the math library, it is because you did not use 'g77 -lm' to force linking with the math library libm (math library is not linked by default).

If "it chokes" means a runtime error there is something seriously wrong with compilation of g77...

google

Great! I hope that Apple follow this thread. I find it a bit unacceptable that basic tools such as FORTRAN compilers are ported to OSX faster by individuals who all they want is to do their job -- which was not to port the compiler in the first place...

I just did that and when I try to compile it tells me:

f77: installation problem, cannot exec `f771': No such file or directory

Anybody got any clue?

Originally posted by monty
nope wasn't the -lm.

I emailed the guy who ported it and he said the binary I downloaded was the public beta version. The one that works with the final is the one that says cvs..... anyway here's the link http://www-jlc.kek.jp/~fujiik/macosx/tgz/gcc-cvs20010413-with-g77-bin.tar.gz

Just su to root and untar it at / and presto full gcc. It works well.

peter

I tried this, and everything worked beautifully--that is, until I tried to use some of the Fortran functions that would be found in the math library. For example, when I tried to use the function "sin" I got the following error message:

-----

/usr/bin/ld: /var/tmp/ccAHaaaa.o has external relocation entries in non-writable section (__TEXT,__text) for symbols:
_sin

-----

A colleague who has tried the same thing has received similar messages.

Does anyone have any idea what to do about this? It looks as though the math library is in a read-only folder. I've e-mailed the person in Japan who posted the link for the gcc-with-g77 download, but I haven't yet received a response, since my e-mail was sent when it is the middle of the night over there.

Back