Has ANYONE seen any benefits in 10.1.2?

brianleahy

Colonel Panic
As noted elsewhere, 10.1.2 seems to have broken the brand-spankin-new drivers for the Microtech card readers. Very frustrating!!

Ironically, 10.1.2 is billed as ADDING support for more card readers. Has anyone out there seen this happen? Anyone have a card reader that didn't work in 10.1.1 that does in 10.1.2?

While I'm at it, has anyone observed any obvious benefits from 10.1.2??

Here's one tangible improvement:

Those with Telstra (and a few others) ADSL no longer need to fiddle with their MTU settings to access the net.

Window resizing is much better for me.

The biggest improvement for me is that external devices will load again on my Powerbook FW 400 MHz. Before the upgrade, I couldn't mount cds or firewire drives.

It is also very nice that my Apache server got upgraded :)

Windows resizing better on G4 450 and Final Cut Pro seems to have resolved an audio crackling issue, though I can't prove that 10.1.2 is why.

when renaming folders from REALLY long names to short names, and stuff like that, the screen wouldn't redraw all the way and leave some pixels behind. That seems to be fixed in 10.1.2

The very annoying ultra long startup times that came about with the 10.1.1 update seem to be back in line with what they were before on my G4/800MP.

I got the ADSL and MTU problem fixed with OS 10.1.1. I haven´t seen any great change with 10.1.2 yet. Perhaps there are bug fixes, invisible for us or not very frecuent.

Here it is:
------------------
Response (Support Staff) - 12/26/2001 09:14 AM
Hello,
The Mac OS X drivers for your Microtech product were designed and tested in the OS 10.1.1 environment. We understand that they are now not functioning in the newly released 10.1.2 update. Our engineering team is working diligently to correct this problem. We are sorry for any inconvienience this has caused and should have a solution for you shortly. If you would like to be notified automatically when the solution is posted please click on the link below, or copy and paste the address into your web browser.

http://scmmicro.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/scmmicro.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=794

I have noticed two really useful improvements which occurred with this bug fix.

1. You can now print in OSX applications whenever calssic is loaded. Before 10.1.2 I noticed you could only print to Classic applications and not OSX applications whenever classic was laoded. This is now fixed.

2. The Wacom Tablet 10 second feeeze problem is fixed. The wacom tablet now works perfectly. No more freezes, restarts, unplug and replug fixes. This is a major improvement which really makes a difference to productivity.

Well,
I havent tried my wacom yet after the update, but its good to hear it works now.
The only noticeable change I have seen is for the worse... It seems that initial application launches are slower than before on my iBook SE. Subsequent launches however are as fast as ever, if not a tad faster.

Internet Connect Freeze is fixed (i hope). the "freeze" used to happen when connecting to the net...all the cpu power was taken by "pppd" sometimes for up to 10 minutes before the modem started.
i havent had a freeze since i updated. and i hope i never have one again.

Back