Has anyone seen this problem before?

Req

Registered
Hello guys, I'm having a little problem with my little old eMac. Every now and then parts of the screen gets scrambled like this:

DSC00184.jpg

DSC00185.jpg

It usually freezes after this and I have to do a hard restart on the machine. I find it has been freezing a lot, often without the scrambling. It can happen without any applications being open, I fear even during a window springing open it will freeze mid-spring, like it's too much to handle.

Sorry for the poor pics, obviously I can't do a screenshot so I had to take photos.

I fear maybe my little old emac is dying. Can't change the screen as it's all built in, still running 10.3.9, it has been fine for about 4 years til I hooked it up as the main computer at home with net access because our PC broke.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like you have one of the many eMacs with the bad capacitors. Dunno if Apple is still repairing them out of warranty, but if you do a Google search you'll find plenty of info.

Edit: Oops, nixgeek beat me to it!

Anyway, looks like you may be out of luck, as the last of those eMacs were sold more than three years ago. Still you should contact Apple, as they have been known to extend repair programs in the past.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, my eMac's serial number does fall within the ranges of those specified. I will give it a try.

Contact Apple anyway, and do your research on the issue. Show this to either an Apple Certified Service Center or the Apple Store. I know someone who had the same problem and it had been way past the three years, and in the end the repair was done free of charge. Be polite, but persistent....that's the key. ;)

Back