Has anyone seen this?

evildan

Super Moderator
I was playing around in TexEdit and notice that there's a charachter palet I never knew about.

Unfortunatly this little icon popped up on my menu bar and I have been unable to remove it.... It follows me around from application to application always at the end of the row. (see photos).

Attachments

• finder.jpg
    finder.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 55
To remove it from your menu bar hold ? and drag it from the menu bar. It should disappear like removing something from the dock.

Mat

In the International Preference Pane, click on Input Menu and you'll see Character Palette. That's the icon you see in the Menu Bar.

Thanks Bob, that was it... what a pain, I would have never thought to look there. I'm fairly sure it was turned on in TextEdit.

I actually have a gripe with this. A very similar thing occurs if you launch Chess.app and turn on voice recognition. Then quit Chess.app. The voice recognition can stay activated. Going to the system preference to turn it off does not work, since it is already set to off.

You have to launch Chess.app and quit voice recognition from there.

My point, i guess is that universal control over a stand-alone widget or application needs to be - above all - consistent. If I turn something on from somewhere I should be able to turn it off as well.

Evildan, I have that thing always on the bar. As i use Italian AND US keyboard layouts AND i need some special charachters that aren't in either, and i don't always remember how to get all of these special charachters with the code only, it's faster. :)

Yeah, I like it, in fact I'm going to turn that widget on with my TiBook. I just wanted to find the way to turn it off as well. :)

I had that turned on but it stopped showing up when I moved to 10.2.6.

In the International Pref it was on, so I toggled it off and then back on and it showed up again.

I don't use it much, so i did not notice until now...

Back