Has anyone successfully used an HDTV as a monitor?

chemistry_geek

Registered
Has anyone successfully used an HDTV as a monitor? I'm looking into purchasing my first HDTV and would like to use it as a monitor in addition to watching HDTV. Any recommendations for cables, television brands, advice?...

I found a nice Philips 37 inch HDTV with an HDMI port at BJ's wholesale club for about $1200. I'm looking for a serious upgrade in screen real estate without paying a fortune for Apple's top-of-the-line monitor, and I want HDTV.

Also, has anyone connected more than two monitors to their PowerMac/MacPro? What video cards would be recommended for a PCI-X slotted PowerMac G5?

I bought two 27" HDTV monitors for one of my employee's and I was so dissatisfied I took them back. They looked horrible and you can't read text easily.

Yes, I have a Westinghouse 37" LCD tv with DVI input, the manual says it has HDCP as well, and it's a true 1920x1080 panel-not upsampled like the Costco ones. It worked brilliantly as a monitor-the family's lucky it won't fit in my corner computer area!

The Mac promptly found and generated the proper screenmode with no intervention on my part-it just worked :)

So I'd say if your HDTV has DVI in it should just work. There are also adapters that go from DVI to HDMI, I would imagine they'd work too, sans the sound normally found in HDMI of course.

Back