Has Mavericks killed iMovie HD?

John Varela

Registered
I finally installed Mavericks a couple of weeks ago. It has created several problems, one of which is that iMovie HD is no longer usable.

A simple action such as trying to clip an audio file in the timeline causes iMovie HD to freeze.

In installing Mavericks, I first made a couple of clone backups of the hard drive in addition to Time Machine, then reformatted the disk, installed Mavericks, and migrated all my applications and data from one of the backups. Thinking that the iMovie.app files might have been corrupted in that process, I recovered iMovie.app from a different backup. It crashes, too. Deleting the .plist files didn't help. I don't see anything else for iMovie in ~/Library.

The same thing happens in a different account.

So the question is, has Mavericks killed iMovie HD?

OS X 10.9.2 iMovie HD 6.03

iMovie on my computer is iMovie 10.0.2, four versions newer than yours. Is there any particular reason that you are holding on to such antediluvian software?

iMovie on my computer is iMovie 10.0.2, four versions newer than yours. Is there any particular reason that you are holding on to such antediluvian software?

At the time that we bought a G5 iMac, I had some old 8mm and Super 8 movies and camcorder videos, all of which had been digitized. With that G5 I was able to sit down with the then-current version of iMovie and make some fairly sophisticated videos without bothering to first read any manuals or make much use of the help. In total I have made 16 movies ranging from 15 to over 20 minutes long with iMovie and iMovie HD.

After iMovie HD, version 7 was a big step backward. I tried it and immediately reverted to iMovie HD.

Within the last couple of weeks I have made a a 3-minute and a 4-minute video. When iMovie HD wouldn't run I had to use iMovie 10.0.2. V10's features are absolutely awful compared to iMovie HD. For example: It doesn't make chapters. There is almost no control of sound volume. It is buggy. Something that was easy and intuitive to do in pre-V7 iMovie, such as causing one background sound track to fade out while another builds up, is impossible in V10. Nothing is intuitive in V10; things that were handled intuitively with the GUI in pre-V7 are buried in menus in V10.

It took me many hours to build seven minutes of video with V10. I can't imagine trying to build a 20-minute movie in V10.

V10 is adequate to create a one-minute video to toss onto Facebook, but for any serous work it's a dog.

And that is why I want to use that antediluvian software. Because it just works.

That's correct. iMovie HD doesn't work IN MAVERICKS. It will still work on the old Core Duo iMac in the basement running 10.6.8. It will be a pain to transfer multi-gigabyte video files between computers. Back to running sneakernet with an external drive. Or I suppose I could install 10.6 or 10.8 in a Boot Camp partition on this machine, but that seems a lot of trouble to run just one app.

That's correct. iMovie HD doesn't work IN MAVERICKS. It will still work on the old Core Duo iMac in the basement running 10.6.8. It will be a pain to transfer multi-gigabyte video files between computers. Back to running sneakernet with an external drive. Or I suppose I could install 10.6 or 10.8 in a Boot Camp partition on this machine, but that seems a lot of trouble to run just one app.

It is awful. The new and old version of iMovie are entirely different products. The old iMovie was so perfect and was sort of like a "simple and limited" version of FCP. The new version is... I don't know. Not useful, annoying, inflexible...

I recommend you enable VNC Screen Sharing on your basement computer, and then connect over from your upstairs computer to run this program. You can also enable file sharing to transfer the files over the network. Not ideal, but not too bad and surprisingly snappy.

Back