Hash Animation Master 2004 - OXS native or Classic?

Harvestr

Registered
www.hash.com

I found out that the 2004 version is out. Anyone know if it runs native in OSX or does it, like the previous version of Hash AM, run only in 9 and in Classic? I know that a OSX native beta was out in January of this year, so I am hoping that this new version runs native in OSX as well. If you know, please let me know.

Not familiar with Hash?
For those of you wanting a cheap but powerful 3-D modeling, animation and rendering app, this is it. Its only $200 and $99 for upgrades. Don't let the price fool you, it has a huge feature set list. I use the 2000 or 2001 version and it crashes a lot, in 9 or in OSX's classic.

I looked over the site and could not find anything specifically saying it's OS X native. That tells me it's not. There is this blurb:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:*

Any PC (WIN2K or XP preferred) or Powermac (OS9.2, OSX) with:*
450MHZ or faster processor

256 MB ram*

Local CD-Rom Drive (program CD required in drive when software starts)

----------------

The simple fact that they even support 9.2 tells me it's running in classic. Shame.

(Hash fans do not read below):

I've hopped all around the 3D world, starting with Carrara. I found it to be actually quite decent. It's easy to use, renders fairly quickly and fairly good quality. Not bad at all for general 3D.

I then saw all the hype about Hash AM and figured for $300 I'd go for it. Mistake. Its patch based modeling method is too restrictive. Great for character stuff, but too much of a pain for general 3D. For me it also crashed a lot. Also, the printed manual is easily the worst manual I have ever used for any application. In many cases the index is off by several pages...that's if you're lucky enough to actually find what should be a very obvious index entry. Also, the community is very hateful and intolerant IMO. Every answer is RTFM. Wow, thanks for the help a-holes.

Having said that, I wil say that AM is an overachieving app with a community of very talented people who put out some amazing things. Kudos to them. For $300 it's pretty damn amazing.

After AM I finagled an educational version of Lightwave, thinking I'd go "big time". Clunk. My brain and this program simply do not mesh. I disagree with virtually every decision they made in the interface and methodology. Again, though, the community is really good and much more friendly than AM's. And they put out killer stuff. I wil be REALLY curious to see how Lightwave runs on a monster G5 when they finish recoding using XCode. After that, there will be no more excuses regarding performance. If that can't keep up with PC 3D performance, then it will be proven once and for all that RISC (or at least Power PC) simply doesn't cut it for 3D. I hope they deliver.

Then finally Alias brought Maya out of the stratosphere in pricing, so I pulled down the Personal Learning Edition and ran through all the tutorials. All I can say is, wow. This app and I were made for each other. I "get" Maya. I didn't "get" Lightwave. The community is great..very patient and tolerant of newbies. There's a nice OS X core and following and there's some key insiders that are Mac people. Amazing app. And it's almost affordable.

Don't compare Maya to Hash. Hash is $300 and Maya is $2000. Now the PLE version is free but leaves a watermark on your scenes.

Thanks for the info though as it will be useful to those that can afford it (i.e. not me lol).

Back