Hate to Admit it. ( X vs 9 )

I'm on it right now, at home. It never crashes, networking is a breeze and is overall a great OS. But...

I work at home almost as much as I do at work, where I am still running 9.2. Why? Because I work in a hi-speed envirorment, and the window shade-less Os DOES slow you down. And that slight few-second delay to open a file adds up and seriously bogs down any groove you might be in. Besides that, I have several minor/major issues with OS X that I can't seem to resolve at home:

-Double-clicking file opens it in Preview or IE, not native App.
-Drag and Drop file does not open it in Dreamweaver, Photoshop or Image Ready
-Downright slow and sluggish in Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Image Ready and IE
-Snapshots are taken as PDF files and go straight to your desktop
-A lot of my fonts do not show up (granted, in X I am not using a Font management program)
-NO SNOOD!!!

I wonder if I only had X installed, would it be faster than it's running? The only program I NEED OS 9 for is Quark Xpress, but it's a major program. I find myself restarting in 9 when I have to work because the above programs all FLY in 9 and as I said, are sluggish in X.
Some people might not think these issues are a big deal, but they seriously cramp my working style. I don't know if the problems are because I'm using an older 400MHz G4 with 832MB or if having OS 9 also installed is slowing it down, but if anybody knows how to fix some of these issues, please point my in the right direction!!

EDIT BY CHEVY:

I moved you post and the following to the Mac OS X System and Software where it will be better placed to be discussed.
http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29294

END EDIT BY CHEVY

Originally posted by fishbonex
I'm on it right now, at home. It never crashes, networking is a breeze and is overall a great OS. But...

-NO SNOOD!!!

Check VersionTracker. It's there. I got hardly any work done for a week after I downloaded it.

This discussion reminds me of the extremely PAINFUL morph my mind had to go through when I switched from 9.2 to 10.2. I trashed Apple up and down over OSX and was ready to mount a terrorist guerilla strike againt their headquarters.

Flash forward 6 months, and I finally like osx better then 9, even though it is way slower, in almost all aspects then 9. It's bittersweet.

You really do have to change your philosophy entirely. I still use OS9 for 8 hours a day at work and OSX about another 3-6 at home. OSX "Lite" version would be a good idea, bare bones so as to be as fast as OS9.

Back