Have I lost /etc/profile " ?

jansenh

Registered
Hi list. Newbie here.

I was about to add a directory to my $path in ´profile´when Emacs suddenly tell me "File is not readable". I opened it in Emacs once before and then I could read the contents in the file, but not change it. So I closed the Emacs session and changed the attributes for the file using "sudo chmod -rw profile" (am I totally lost here? Some ages ago I did a little unix admin...) Anyway, did I loose my etc/profile? The file is there, but... not readable!

Why I am doing this? I was putting in ruby-1.8.1 and my system complaines about it not finding a C-compiler. So I am installing gcc-?.?.? and need to upgrade my path ... Suggestions about this part of my problem is of course wellcome as well!

Yes, I am totally new with mac/osX. :eek: I sure like it tough! A neat little 12" iBook - sort of a replacement for my PDA which died the other day. I will primarily use it for programming in Ruby, reading various eBooks, reading the remaining pages of the interNet and such.

you want u+rw, not -rw

That's "for the user only, + add read and write permission"

What you did was "for everyone, - remove read and write permission"

And, you don't need to do it through sudo - you own the file, so you can change the permissions as yourself, you don't need to be root.

Did you install the developer tools CD? That installs the gcc, so you shouldn't need to add anything else. Anyway, if you just install the compiler, you won't have any of the right include files to build files on OS X - so you'd have to install developer tools anyway.

Thanx Scruffy!

:eek: yepp, I see it now. And its fixed! ;) But I don¨t have a Developer Tools CD ... I downloaded XcodeTools 1.5 and it had a gcc-3.3 on it.

New topic (might end up in a new thread): when I got gcc running and ruby-1.8.1 properly installed, the "ruby -v" command still reveal 1.6.? as the version accessed in the $PATH... hmmm

regards, Henning

If you've just downloaded XCode 1.5, you will also want to download the November 18 2004 gcc3.3 updater. The version of gcc shipped with XCode 1.5 is buggy and a lot of code fails to compile correctly.

Back