Have screen shots save as .bmp or .jpg?

Needsumhelp

Registered
Uh, is there any way to do this? Because it's really annoying when I have to import them into photoshop everytime before I can upload them, just to change the file type.

Uh, is there any way to do this? Because it's really annoying when I have to import them into photoshop everytime before I can upload them, just to change the file type.

You can open it up in Preview and then save it as a .JPG.

Better yet, open up /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type in the following command:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg

You can also supstitute these for jpg: tiff, pdf or png

Better yet, open up /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type in the following command:

It didn't work for me. (maybe I'm doing something wrong?)

My understanding is that that trick only works in Tiger. There is a similar trick that only works in Jaguar (or is it 10.1 Puma?), but nothing for Panther. I could be wrong, though; I've Googled this in the past and found many conflicting reports, and I never tested everything myself.

If you do try any tricks you find, I recommend logging out and back in, otherwise it might not take effect.

You can open it up in Preview and then save it as a .JPG.

Tried that. It says "You cannot save this document with extension ".bmp" at the end of the name. The required extension is ".pdf". You can choose to use both so that your file name ends in ".bmp.pdf"."

My understanding is that that trick only works in Tiger. There is a similar trick that only works in Jaguar (or is it 10.1 Puma?), but nothing for Panther. I could be wrong, though; I've Googled this in the past and found many conflicting reports, and I never tested everything myself.

If you do try any tricks you find, I recommend logging out and back in, otherwise it might not take effect.

The problem is I dont want to mess up a computer I dont even own. I'll look for some though.

My understanding is that that trick only works in Tiger.

I just looked it up, and you're right. It only works in 10.4 onwards.:(

Apparently there was a similar command for 10.1, which disappeared in 10.2-10.3:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleScreenShotFormat imageFormat

Replace imageFormat with one of JPEG, TIFF, PNG, or PICT to change the format of the screenshot.

The other option is to use SnapsPro, which is quite good and worth the money if you're looking at taking lots of screenshots on a refular basis.

Try this in Terminal;

defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleScreenShotFormat (format)

Try this in Terminal;

defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleScreenShotFormat (format)

If I type in "defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleScreenShotFormat (format)", I get the message

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

If I type in "defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleScreenShotFormat", I get the message

2007-05-16 17:53:24.009 defaults[540]
Rep argument is not a dictionary
Defaults have not been changed.

Spiral Girl: Are you sure you used the right one? The one that works in Tiger is:
(or replace "jpg" with "png", or "pdf".)

Needsumhelp: be sure to replace "(format)" with the format you want. e.g.:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleScreenShotFormat JPEG
(or replace "JPEG" with "TIFF", "PNG" or "PDF").

The first one only works in Tiger, and the second one only works in older versions of OS X (again, I'm not sure exactly which older versions, since I've heard conflicting reports).

Mikuro,

Yes, I did it the first time and nothing and tried it again and restarted computer. Used the Grab app in Utilities to capture a desktop picture, then clicked save as and typed a title in and it saves in .tiff format. Tried it all again today and same thing.

When I open terminal I get Last login: Thu May 17 13:08:01 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
mycomputernamehere-Computer:~name(which is different from computer name)$

Think what may be the problem is awhile ago I went int accounts and just changed the computer name because it was under my sister's name without knowing what I was doing and the computer crashed and all I could get was Darwin. Then I had to reinstall my original disk to get it up and running again. So now when I click on the admin account I see the name I changed it to but the short name is still my sister's name. Does this make sense?

I'm wondering if my Darwin thing is messed up. I never use Terminal so not sure what is up but did type in the command after all that and hit return and restarted the machine but can't get grab to save in .jpg

Thanks,

S.

Mikuro,

I just typed a whole response and it didn't go on here for some reason. This happened with another question I posted.

Here we go again. Yes, I've tried that command twice in terminal and restarted my computer and go to use grab app to get a screenshot of my desktop and hit save as and name it and it always comes out as a .tiff

Now my terminal looks like this:

Last login: Thu May 17 13:08:01 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
computernamehere-Computer:~ mysister'snamehere(differentfromcomputername)$

Maybe my terminal is messed up. Awhile back I went into accounts and changed the admin name since it was my sister's name before and I didn't know what I was doing. The computer crashed and all I got was Darwin when I turned it on saying it had no name etc. Then I reinstalled the original disk and did a partial install and everything went back to normal. So under accounts it has the new name but the short name is my sister's name.

Does this make sense? Could my terminal be messed up?

S.

Will this work with Grab.app screenshots or with only the keyboard shortcuts or both?
I tried changing png to jpeg in Onyx but it didn't work with Grab.app screenshots in my standard account. I haven't tried it with my Admin account, don't know if it really matters though but I have to be signed in to my Admin account to run Onyx.

Back