Have Skype, considering Vonage

larry98765

Registered
Hi All,

I use Skype sometimes, but am considering Vonage because I'd like a VOIP number that I can RECEIVE calls from landlines at. (SkypeOut only lets you MAKE calls to landlines.)

I have a few questions for anyone who uses Vonage:

1) How easy is it to pick up the adapter to take with you and use wherever you have a broadband connection? I'd like to be able to make and receive calls wherever I happen to be.

2) Are there adapters that are more portable than the ones that come with the service? Could I use my laptop instead of a phone? (The site says it's an added -- $$ -- feature, but it seems like it wouldn't need to be. Is there something in the adapter that IDs your account?)

3) How has your experience with the service been?

4) Would anyone recommend something other than Vonage?

Many thanks

larry98765 said:
Hi All,
1) How easy is it to pick up the adapter to take with you and use wherever you have a broadband connection? I'd like to be able to make and receive calls wherever I happen to be.

It is the size of a Linksys Internet Home Router. In fact, that is what it is. ;) You can just plug it in anywhere and it works fine. It doesn't even need to be your broadband router, you can just set it up like another box on your network.

larry98765 said:
2) Are there adapters that are more portable than the ones that come with the service? Could I use my laptop instead of a phone? (The site says it's an added -- $$ -- feature, but it seems like it wouldn't need to be. Is there something in the adapter that IDs your account?)

For more money, you can get a soft-phone, which installs on your Mac or Windows computer allowing you to place calls with your computer anywhere. It is it's own unique number and is $9.99 more per month and comes with it's own minutes, etc. But you can't get that service alone.

larry98765 said:
3) How has your experience with the service been?

I have had some issues with my internet connection, so those issues I can't comment on. It seems to work fine. There are some issues with the vonage linksys boxes (hit and miss) like extra line-noise, etc... but its fine. My only beef I had was a very painful process (mainly long) of converting a number from local phone to vonage. Although, I finally gave up and said to not move it. The 911 service is questionable and can't trust it with my family. But, for a secondary line or business line or what not, works great.

larry98765 said:
4) Would anyone recommend something other than Vonage?

From what I have read, it is about the best solution available for the money.

Scott W:

Thanks for that very complete and helpful response. Many thanks!

Just to clarify -- I'll be able to carry the adapter home and to work, plug it in to any available broadband network, computer and regular phone, and when someone calls my Vonage number it will ring where I'm at?

Also, I assume I could plug the adapter into a wifi access point? If it's wifi b (rather than g), will the connection hold up?

Larry98765

larry98765 said:
Scott W:

Thanks for that very complete and helpful response. Many thanks!

Just to clarify -- I'll be able to carry the adapter home and to work, plug it in to any available broadband network, computer and regular phone, and when someone calls my Vonage number it will ring where I'm at?

Also, I assume I could plug the adapter into a wifi access point? If it's wifi b (rather than g), will the connection hold up?

Larry98765

Well, you don't need your computer to use vonage. If you have a internet connected DHCP pool, you can just plug it in, plug a regular telephone into (RJ-11) into it and wait a few seconds and your ready to go.

If you get the soft-phone, you don't have to take the box with you.

It doesn't have wi-fi connection option.

Remember, the "adapter" is really a linksys box with a internet (outside) port and 4 port hub/switch for plugging in internal boxes with a phone line jack on it as well.

ScottW said:
Well, you don't need your computer to use vonage. If you have a internet connected DHCP pool, you can just plug it in, plug a regular telephone into (RJ-11) into it and wait a few seconds and your ready to go.

Of course (slapping myself on the head).

ScottW said:
It doesn't have wi-fi connection option.

Even if I plug the voip router into a wifi access point? As far as it knows, a network's a network, right?

I believe Skype is introducing incomming calls from landlines. Actually, you buy (pay) for a tel number in the country where you want and the calls come in. Few countries are served though.

Back