Have you ever launched all the apps on your HD in OSX?

quangdog

Registered
So tonight I was a little bored, and wondered what OS X would do if I opened every app on my hard drive (excepting the classic Apps...)

Specs of the machine:
1999 Powerbook G3 333 (Bronze Keyboard, Lombard model)
384 MB Ram
6GB HD
Everything else is stock as it came from Apple.

So I opened my /Applications directory, and selected everything... then opened all the various sub directories and selected all the apps in them... I even went so far as to select XDarwin, which opens several GTK apps when it launches...

Then I hit Apple-O, and watched dozens of application icons pop into my dock...

Roughly 10 minutes later, everything had launched, and I was actually able to use the machine without too much of a performance hit (once I got iMovie to quit sucking 50% of the CPU cylces with it's intro movie...)

So I'm just curious, has anyone else tried this?

Certainly, this would kill OS 9. :)

-Quangdog

i would never in a million years thought to have done it. but iam impressed by the results you got. this should be a new challenge we should make to pc trolls:p

Actually yes. It has been tried quite some time ago by a number of members revelling in the new memory management features of OS X.

As a joke, and a subtle message to an ongoing "my machine is faster and better than yours" trifle that can occur here once in a while, I had launched 64 apps, tacked my dock to the right side of my screen and placed a lonely clock icon at the top right of my menu bar. Made it look like a phallic symbol, and title the post "My penis is bigger than yours".
After some words with a moderator, I was labeled most violent member by a friend of mine. But I'm a really a nice guy. Sometimes.

I thought it was funny.

Here's a pict.

Guau!! I've never tried it!! But I think I'll do it when I have 10 minutes free.
I just imagine doing the same on a PC!!! I think it will explode if I do such thing, but I'll try and then I will come back with the results!!
'til tonight!! :cool:

I just launched 79 Apps, including some big ones like Cinema 4D XL 7, Photoshop 7, Illustrator 10, Freehand 10. It took a little longer than 4 minutes until my system was again usable and the CPU graph got back into the lower third of it's screen. I now closed most them again, but I noticed how ULTRA-FAST they now open! Photoshop takes 3 bounces until the loading screen appears and then again 5 seconds until I can interact! It's awesome!

Back