Haven't Been Able to Write Cds Since Upgrading to Tiger

sunny

Registered
I have a 1GHz powerbook G4 with a combo drive. Before I upgraded to Tiger I could burn CDs no problem. Now, CD-Rs from the very same batch as I used before don't get recognized on the desktop.

Important facts before you reply:

1. YES, I have checked that the preferences are properly checked so that the CDs should not be ignored.

2. Disk Utility can see the disk but says that they are not writable. However, the problem is not with the disk: my husband has a computer that is almost identical (1.5GHz Powerbook with Super Drive) and the same disk shows up fine.

3. The drive itself is working, in that it can see pre-written disks no problem.

4. I have already tried completely erasing my hard drive and clean-installing the OS and software. Made absolutely no difference.

5. I'm running the absolute latest version of the OS.

6. The details of the drive itself (as lifted from system profiler) are below.

MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8123:

Firmware Revision: CA0T
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw
Media: No

Thanks!!

Sunny

My original Matshushita CD-RW drive in my old G4 had problems with *some* particularly cheap disks. It would always read burned disks, done on other machines or in the Mats drive, but choked when asked to recognize a blank disk for burning from Finder. When I used Toast, I never had that problem.

I agree with underdog - patchburn may not help, but it certainly won't hurt. It installs a matching driver for your CD drive is all.

Back