Having problems with imac G3

Purple_imac_fan

Registered
Hi there,

well, I've recently installed a western digital 40Gb caviar hard drive into my 233mhz Imac G3. I've managed to install OS9 (hoping to upgrade to X soon) but it won't start from the drive, and i have to boot it from disk.

The drive is partitioned into 2, with the first partition being 6gb. I've tried changing the start-up disk but to no avail... and my firmware is upto date as far as I'm aware.

Any help given will be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked the jumpers on the drive? Make sure it's consistent with the settings on the old drive.

when i was installing the drive, it was set automatically without jumpers to slave, and the mac didn't even see it.

I have it set to master now, and it can see the drive, and it installs correctly, but it just doesn't start from the hard drive.

Have you tried zapping the PRAM? Restart the Mac and when you hear the chime, hold down Command-Option-P-R at the same time. Let it chime for about 3-4 times and then let go. See if that works.

If this is your only drive the jumpers should be set to Master....or to cable select...not sure if this option works on imac/os x. If it's set to slave then all the os sees is a storage drive. At least this is how it works on Wintel machines

Back