Having Problems with iPod Video

texanpenguin

Registered Penguin
I'm not impressed. I was given a 60GB white iPod Video for Christmas, and it hasn't yet worked as advertised ONCE.

I was a bit confused that it came Windows formatted, but restoring it to HFS+ with the latest iPod Software was easy enough. Then iTunes picked it up, and started filling it with songs; perfect! Then, around 3000 songs into a 5400 song library, iTunes crashed. Since it hadn't saved out a complete library, starting iTunes again cleared the iPod and the process started again. Again, around 3000 songs into the sync, iTunes crashed.

Taking the initiative, I started iTunes again, and set the iPod to manually manage. First, I added the songs that iTunes kept crashing on. Nope, synced across fine. Then I did more and more. Eventually I decided I'd fixed the problem, flipped it back to Automatic and it started work again. It crashed at some point when I wasn't paying attention.

So then I decided to manually add all the songs, in groups of about 500 at a time. This takes... a very long time. Eventually all the songs were on the iPod (as they now are). I switched the settings back to Automatic, so it would sync with new songs when I got them.

iTunes has synced the Music (with a lot of my help), the Videos and the Podcasts, but it hasn't synced the Contacts nor the Calendars (which it DID used to sync with my 3G iPod). I can potentially iSync them across, but that's not how it's *supposed* to work. What's more, album art for music doesn't show up on the iPod (though the setting to show album art on iPod is on in iTunes), though album art for Podcasts do show up.

I don't want to format the iPod again, because I suspect iTunes will just crash again after three thousand or so songs, and I'll be damned if I'm going to sit and transfer song blocks again, especially if it seems it doesn't copy across the album art.

What do you all suggest? I'm on Panther. I've attached my iTunes crash log if that helps.

Attachments

• iTunes.crash.log.txt
    94.2 KB · Views: 8
Hm. Maybe you _do_ have a corrupt iTunes plist or something... Crash log also shows APE running, which is a *BIG* problem creator. Disable that for testing and let it synch again. I mean: You _do_ want it to work properly, so I guess a couple of half-hours aren't asked too much...

Yeah, I have APE running for one APE module. I know the problems it can cause (but I really like having the Services menu in my contextual menus :p).

I determined that the problem is actually with some album art. When I realised I didn't have album art on the iPod, I deselected "View Album Art on iPod", watched it very, very quickly "delete" the art, and then I reselected the option, which slowly began adding ("optimising") all the album art again, sometime during which iTunes crashed again.

Now I have to find a convenient way to find the corrupt art :p. It does, at least, explain why the iPod video doesn't work when my 3G one did.

Edit: Thank you for your help, though. I didn't even think about plist files.
Edit 2: Huzzah! It was indeed an album art issue, and after painstakingly going through my songs, I found the culprit (an _enormous_ blank image attached to four songs).

Sounds like a real pain in the ass. I really hated manually adding songs, or naming the songs, so it wouldn't have 2 of the same artists on my iPod. Good Luck with it though.

try adding them in one at a time im on a imac G5 and it runs beautiful i will try on a powermac G4 1 g hz but 2ghz ram ill try and see that computer owns a whopping 15,000 songs and counting

?! ... i have no idea what you're talking about, C.J. ...

But about those large empty images, texanpenguin: You probably once tried to add something that was of a wrong type or something. Although I guess then iTunes simply wouldn't "take" that as album art... Strange, really...

With regards to the syncing of your contacts and calendars, have you ticked the boxes in the iPod prefs when it is connected in iTunes? This caught me out when I got my Vid iPod for Christmas.

jonparadise; could you give me a screenshot (Cmd+Shift+4, then drag a selection) of where the checkbox is?

I couldn't find it, so went to iSync. Which is fine, since I'm on Panther, so iSync still does something useful.

Sure, here we go, I got this by clicking on the little ipod icon in the bottom right of iTunes.

attachment.php

Attachments

• vidipod.jpg
    vidipod.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 22
WHY doesn't mine have it? I'll assume you need Tiger for iTunes to show those options.

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    8.7 KB · Views: 14
How bizarre, the only thing I can suggest is to re-install iTunes from the website. Also download the iPod Video software from the website.

I'm sure it should work the same on Panther.

Tiger _did_ change some basic things about iSync/iTunes, so this could simply be different.

Tex - FYI, my boss was having the same exact problem and Apple has sent him a new iPod video - after only four hours on the phone.

Just another little aside; something else I've noticed that's weird: I've set a number of video files to be "TV Shows" in iTunes, but no "TV Shows" option shows up in the Video section of the iPod.

I'm not able to change anything in iTunes at the moment, but is there a setting in the iPod for turning this on? I'm having to find the files in the Video Playlists option.

Tiger _did_ change some basic things about iSync/iTunes, so this could simply be different.

You are right. The syncing function is part of the OS in 10.4 (a service running in the background I believe), while in 10.3 its just an external application (isync).

texanpenguin said:
Just another little aside; something else I've noticed that's weird: I've set a number of video files to be "TV Shows" in iTunes, but no "TV Shows" option shows up in the Video section of the iPod.

I'm not able to change anything in iTunes at the moment, but is there a setting in the iPod for turning this on? I'm having to find the files in the Video Playlists option.

How are you 'setting' the files? If you're simply changing the genre, this won't work. You have to select the video file>Get Info>Options>Video Kind>Movie/Music Video/TV Show.

If you're doing that, is your iPod up-to-date? The recent firmware update (1.1) gave the iPod the TV show function.

I've been changing the files in the Options pane, and yes, the iPod has software version 1.1.

I'm beginning to suspect that the thing needs a format; start from scratch, but it takes so blasted long to do that with this many songs :D.

Maybe once I move to Tiger.

Back