having trouble burning a dvd-video

jesse mann

Registered
i've got an AVI movie file that i'm trying to burn as a video-DVD. i'm using a G4 powerbook with 10.3.4, and toast 6 lite, with a lacie porsche dvdburner....the file is about 103 minutes long, and size is 1.25 gigs. Yet, when i try to burn, it tells me that there is not enough space on the disc, by it seems only a few megabytes....first of all, why the **** can i not burn a 100 minute movie when DVDs are supposed to hold 120 minutes in video form? i've tried every way i can think of around this without spending more money, i.e. every freeware converting software i could find (to change from avi to mpeg) and even after converting to .mov file, i still run into the same problem...i can't figure out how to cut a small piece off of the end of the avi. file which would be fine with me too.....any suggestions? what am i doing wrong? what can i do, without spending more money, to fix this? i hope i've explained the problem well enough. thanks!

jesse

Toast Titanium 6 ($80) allows you to divide an .avi.
Quicktime Pro ($30) allows you to divide a .mov.

Doug

A 1.25 gig file should fit onto a data DVD just fine, regardless of what kind of file it is.

However, if you're trying to burn a video DVD - as in, playable in a set-top player - you should know that DVD-Rs (single layer variety, at least) hold a LOT less data than a factory-minted commercial video DVD.

With iDVD at least, a single-layer DVD can hold a maximum of about 90 minutes, and that's at a lower bit rate. At a higher bit rate, the max is about 60 min.

wow, so "120" minute DVDrs really only hold 90 minutes of video? that's ludicrous. does that mean the 120 minutes only applies to stand-alone dvd recorders, as in to record off of tv/etc.? sounds like my only option is to buy dual layer discs...am i right?

Yes, I think that's correct -- the "120 minute" designation refers mostly to stand alone DVD recorders.

I'm not familiar with how Toast converts video, but part of the issue may be that set-top recorders typically can use Dolby Digital audio - which uses lossy compression, and so takes up less space on the disc. There is a license fee associated with any DD encoder - hardware or software - and while it is included in the cost of a stand-alone recorder, it's almost certainly NOT included with Toast Lite. (It's not included with iDVD either - though it *IS* included with DVD Studio Pro)

So instead, Toast probably burns discs with PCM audio - which sounds good (it's what CDs use) but eats up more space.

As for (burnable) dual layer discs - they hold more BUT they are a relatively new format - and you need a compatible burner to burn to them. The very latest G5's have dual-layer superdrives - sadly, I don't think any Powerbooks do. :(

Back