Having Trouble Installing 10.2...

RPS, i feel your pain.
I recently ( two weeks ago) installed the WWDC panther preview. It's ok, but one or two bugs too many for me. I couldn't/can't partition my drives at the moment, because i have nowhere to backup to, so i had to format the system partition and reinstall Jag. No issue. I was slowly gettin the updates installed. Now. everyone remember the day we got two "security" updates, in.. early july i think. Anyways. Im not sure if i installed them in the wrong order, or what happened (i kept the original pkg's except for a handful from all software updates) but when i rebooted, i got a black console screen saying stuff about CGSDisableUpdate: failed, and CGSFlushWindow: failed
repeatedly. it would go almost as far as the login screen, and fail. Once at the console, i could run SystemStarter manually, and it would do some of the startup stuff from there. still no joy. if i exited the console, it would try again, and fail. OK i thought, it's screwed. Tried fsck -y.
No problems. Put the jag cd in to test the disk, and if necessary reinstall. It wont boot from it. nothing has physically changed with the computer. (unless that update which says its for AFP/NFS etc somehow told my dvd drive which cd's to boot from)
I thought it was the CD. I tried it in our old lime imac 266. It took forever, but it came up with the "preparing for installation screen" at which point (that took ages, but the imac only has 64mg and a 24x cdrom..) i took the disk out and turned it off. It was booting there. I tried it back in the g4. No luck. it wont do anything really. it goes to the grey screen with the dark apple and the little turning cog-wheel. i left it for over 1/2 an hour. Nothing. The build in boot-manager (hold down opt. at startup) recognizes it.
I had to then give up, and RE-install panther, because i need to use the computer for tafe. reading this thread, i thought maybe it was the firmware. maybe 10.3 updated it (except i installed jag fine the first time after 10.3) so i tried to run the updater app on the Jag CD (yes, it mounts fine.) and it needs os9. I havent had os9 on this machine since jaguar was released, if not longer. anyways. if any of you can give any suggestions about either of these problems (RPS' or mine) im sure we would both appreciate it :)

Back