HD dismounts spontaneously

dirtbagg

Registered
I have three Macs running X.4.6 (700 iBk G3, mini G4, & G4 Dual). I also have three external Firewire HDs. I use all three HDs on all three Macs to clone bkups with SuperDuper. One of the HDs spontaneously dismounts from the G4 Dual (the other two work fine). The one that dismounts works fine on the other two Macs (this HD's an Acomdata 60GB). It did this in X.4.5 and I'd hoped applying the combo updater to X.4.6 might fix the problem, but no such luck. The HD runs quiet and I've run Disk Warrior to repair it's directories. I'm stumped and would appreciate any suggestions...
ttfn Dirtbagg

Does the external connect via firewire or USB?

Does it unmount if the Dually goes to sleep or just randomly throughout the day?

The external HD is Firewire and and the unmount is not sleep related. It seems to do it randomly, both when it is being copied to and when it sits idle. Generally, I don't try to leave this particular HD mounted, but mount it for the purpose of cloning. It will usually let me begin to copy, but will dismount a few moments into the process.

so to clarify, only one of the three hd's has issues on the dual g4, the other 2 work just fine, and all three drives work just fine on the other 2 macs? my question , if i am correct in my understanding, is if the 3 external drives are all the same, or is the troublesome drive of a different make?

dirtbagg, I had a similar behavior with an Iomega HD with the Prolific FireWire chipset in its controller (part of the HD assembly) - fixed it by giving it to my son-in-law and getting an HD with Oxford chipset. Sometimes it's that simple. Hope so for you. The Prolific FireWire chipset is kind of flaky. BTW, I wasn't being mean to my son-in-law, he has a PC which only has USB2.0, the Iomega works fine with that.

Thanks for the responses.
1. All three drives are different.
the problem drive is an Acomdata Firewire/USB2, 80G. It's about 2.5 years old. I don't know what chipset is in it. The other two drives are an older Phantom Firewire (only) @ 60G, and a wonderful new Acomdata Firewire/USB2 @ 250G.
2. Sinclair TM is correct about what works where...only my G4 dual Tower drops the Acomdata 80G.

ttfn dirtbagg

well, if the drive works perfect on the other 2 macs, the only thing i can think of is if there is something wrong with the dual g4's usb controllers, and it doesn't like that drive's usb bridge. all i can say here is unluck of the draw. if you need the info, put the drive on one of that macs that it works with, and share it with the g4 over a network.

Back