HD Erase terror

easterhay

little green rosetta
I have an odd query. When I use Disk Utility to erase the contents of a CD-RW (OsX 10.3.9) I undergo a terrifying 'What would happen if I accidentally selected my HD instead of the CD-RW' bout of vertigo-like anxiety.

I find myself double-treble-quadruple-checking that I have absotively posilutely chosen the correct volume. And then just once more.

My nerves are not helped by the fact that, if you highlight Macintosh HD volume, the Erase button doesn't go away!!

I know Disk Utility can't erase the volume it sits on, but could I still click Erase by mistake? How far would I get? Are there checks and balances for this? I can't bring myself to try.

Am I alone in my crippling anxiety? Should I see a shrink? Argh, the horror, the horror! :eek:

If you highlight your boot drive and click erase, you'll see the command buttons dimmed, and won't allow you to ease the drive.

Agreed I can't Burn, Unmount, Eject or Enable Journaling, but Erase remains an apparently viable option in the panel on the right, slap bang between First aid and Restore.
Obviously I'm not planning to try it. Just freaks me out that I appear to be able to, like having a Would-you-like-to-consume-your-own-flesh-from-the-feet-up? button

Yes, the erase tab is available for your boot drive, but if you highlight your boot drive and click the erase tab, you get a new window that you have to select Volume Format and the buttons for Erase, and they will be dimmed and unuseable on your boot drive. No worries :)

Back