Hd Icon Missing

idesign

Registered
Strange problem here that's driving me nuts.
This past weekend, I upgraded our server from ASIP 6.3 to OSX Tiger Server. It's running on a G4 Server 500mhz (old, I know). Everything was going smoothly for 3 days.

Now, all of the sudden, one of the internal HD's (scsi) doesn't show up on the servers desktop. TTP and DU both see the drive fine and all tests come up clean. Client computers who are authorized to access the HD can connect and mount, no problem. WTF?

Another strange, and probably related issue. In workgroup manager, the above HD shows up and I can change settings etc, but another HD which physically shows up on the servers desktop, is no where to be found in the "ALL" sharepoints.....

Any ideas? I'm going crazy trying to figure this out.

I should also add that the missing HD is a Maxtor (internal, not one-touch) and both of the drives are on the same scsi

They both show up in system profiler, TTP, DU, and users can actually mount AND use the files on they're client computers.....

Someone, anyone, please help.......I'm going bald trying to figure this one out.

Since I could access the drive from a client computer, I backed everything up and reformatted the drive.Bingo, it showed back up.

Thanks for listening......

Ouch.

So, on some Tiger upgrades, I've seen the Finder preference for showing the hard drive become disabled. If you go into the Finder and Preferences, there's a checkbox to display the server HD.

At least your up and running :)

Thanks for the tip Iverson, I'll have to remember that.

It wasn't even the main drive that the server software is
installed on, though I don't know if that matters.

Maxtor's drivers are old (2003-2004), and they won't update the Mac ones. I spoke to their computer tech & programming engineer. Maybe some large volume of response from others may prompt action. Afterall, Intel Mac — if they want us to keep buying their drives.

Back