HDD for G3 B/W

StealthRider

Registered
I'm thinking about completely upgrading my 350 B/W G3 with the works-upgrade ZIF g4, more RAM, new GFX card, and bigger HDD. Can anyone tell me what a good internal HDD would be to use on my machine?

If you have a Revision 1 B/W, i would stay either buy a new ATA IDE controller, or go SCSI.. rev.1. B/W's have a faulty IDE controller when used with big IDE disks in DMA mode. :(

I've had good experiences with both IBM and Maxtor in my B/W.

I have a B&W G3 350 Rev 1 DVD at home. added an internal maxtor Diamond Plus 30 GB 7200rpm as master and original 6GB 5400rpm hd is now slave.

No problem up to now. (10 months running)

10.x is realy faster on the 7200 rpm. Add 512 Ram and everything will fly !

Regards

Happy barty :)

Thanks a lot. I'll get a nice 7200 30 Gig....plus all the other junk i talked about earlier.....now...where can i get it cheap.....:)

Dual drive mounting frame, what's that look like? I could use one, my two drives, side by side, are really fiddly to work with, the cable is way too stretched between them.

Isn't the heatsink on the rev 2 G3s also different - the fins are two different lengths or something, otherwise the case wouldn't close, I think.

Are you using an ATA66 cable or an ATA33 cable (the 33 cable has 40 pins.. and the 66 cable has slightly more than that.. can remember how many!)

Originally posted by TheBarty
I have a B&W G3 350 Rev 1 DVD at home. added an internal maxtor Diamond Plus 30 GB 7200rpm as master and original 6GB 5400rpm hd is now slave.

No problem up to now. (10 months running)

10.x is realy faster on the 7200 rpm. Add 512 Ram and everything will fly !

Regards

Happy barty :)

Based on the comments in this thread, and on the drive compability database at xlr8youmac.com, i went out and bought myself a 7200rpm ATA133 maxtor 60gb (DX-740) today, along with a new ATA100 cable.

And guess what.. it actually works.. no corruption at all! ..

I have the drive as master, with no slave attached (since a slave would slow the master down to whatever max. speed it has) ..

I'm attaching my results from dctest, running a 5 x read test of 2047 mb 5 times..

Attachments

• hdtest.rtf.zip
    612 bytes · Views: 2
Back