HDD Partition Table Issue

rodentx

Registered
Okay, here's the issue ... I have an Western Digital External 250GB Combo (Firewire/USB) HDD. Model: WD2500B007. Due to a uncontrolable OS X freeze-up, I could not properly shut down my Mac -- resulting in HDD partition table corruption within the external drive.

Now when booting my Mac with the external drive plugged in, I get the following message: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" with three options: Initialize, Ignore or Eject.

Initialize does not seem to do anything...

Here's where it gets really weird... When opening OS X Disk Utility and running the Erase command, the disk size states that the external HDD is 2.0 TB --- which tells me that there is a definate Partition Table issue.

Anyhow, the erase command and partition command within Disk Util does nothing -- I get an Input/Output error.

Disk Warrior and TechTool Pro do not resolve the issue. I'm currently running Data Rescue X and doing a raw scan of the disk (Preferences - [X] Ignore Partitioning) to restore the file catalog, but this is going to take a very long time.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't care about the data on the drive since I have 90% of it backed up, so keep that in mind.

Thanks!

Back