Hell Freezes over Part II?: WMA on iPod, thanks to HP?

I don't see why having *.wma is seen as such a bad thing. It will mean that M$ will finally be able to stop whining about "...Windows is all about choice, and with iTunes, it locks you into an iPod purchase..." (David Fester paraphrase) and it no longer means that an iPod can not play certain file formats that the masses (read: Windows users) have been herded into using because it's "superior"... it broadens the sales of the iPod. That's the bottom line.

gerbick said:
I don't see why having *.wma is seen as such a bad thing. It will mean that M$ will finally be able to stop whining about "...Windows is all about choice, and with iTunes, it locks you into an iPod purchase..." (David Fester paraphrase) and it no longer means that an iPod can not play certain file formats that the masses (read: Windows users) have been herded into using because it's "superior"... it broadens the sales of the iPod. That's the bottom line.

It's as much about saving face as it is about furthering standards.

What disappoints me is how Apple get left fighting the good fight for MPEG audio alone. Where are all the other guys who crawl out of the woodwork the millisecond Microsoft start pushing open formats around?

Is it because of Apple going their own merry way with DRM and coming up with their own; FairPlay?

What would be so wrong with letting users add their WMA content to their iTunes and iPod. If they are buying songs through iTunes they will still be in AAC format.

It would give users the freedom to copy their current songs onto their new iPod via iTunes.

I, like the rest of you, hate the evil empire that is Microshaft. But wouldn't it make sense to add support so new users can copy their old microcrap songs to their new fancy iTunes and iPod. They would immediately be able to hear the difference and know which is the best.

what i want to know is this: why would Apple join with HP to sell an HP branded iPod that will compete with and take sales away from Apples iPod??
Not too smart... :rolleyes:

Dominyo said:
grep, Apple is making money off the hpPod, it isn't really in competition w/ the iPod, it IS the iPod.

Also, these guys know their demographics better than anyone. They'll be some overlap for sure, but they wouldn't do this unless Apple were getting a shot at selling into a different market segment...

Apple basically sells HP either an unmarked or a specially modified iPod which HP then sells to the consumers, so Apple's still selling them either way you cut the cake.

Adam: I don't get it. :confused:

Back