HELP! A file deleted accidentally....

banjo_boy

Bona Fide Pater Familius
I was recording a seminar this weekend. The guy (PC user) helping me put the wrong sound file in the trash in the trash and threw it away.

Does anyone know how I can get that back? I don't have the Norton's Utilities Untrash. Is there a way through thru the terminal? Root user? I NEED this file.

Please help!

banjo_boy said:
I was recording a seminar this weekend. The guy (PC user) helping me put the wrong sound file in the trash in the trash and threw it away.

Does anyone know how I can get that back? I don't have the Norton's Utilities Untrash. Is there a way through thru the terminal? Root user? I NEED this file.

Please help!

If that file is worth $89, you could try Data Rescue - http://www.prosoftengineering.com/products/data_rescue.php

Just be sure not to use the hard drive you deleted it from, and especially don't run any disk repair software.

Data Rescue is free for ONE file only... beauty of trial/demo versions. Just download it and use it but don't register it. It will let you find your file and recover it... as long as it's only one file and it hasn't been written over yet.

I will try it out and it is only one file I need so bonus for me!

Question is now, My HD is partitioned into 2 sections and I have 10.2.8 and 9.2.2 on each respectively. Should I get the OS 9 version to remove the file from the OS 10 side? That is what I am understanding from you, but I want to make sure.

Again THANKS!

I tried Data Rescue and it did nothing. Any other apps out there anyone could recommend?

TechTool Pro 4 has an undelete utility similar to the one in Norton. But the possibility of recovery is greatly reduced if the TTP protection features were not running before the file was deleted. The possibility of recovery is further reduced by all use of the computer after the file was deleted because it is likely to have at least portions overwritten by new or changed files in the system.

The moral of this story is, "don't let PC techs ::evil:: within 50 yards of your Mac!"

Back