Help! Beige G3 problems

jeffgreenberg

Registered
Ok...Here's the story.

I have a beige 300, 384mb ram, 9gb uw scsi, 20 gig ATA, DVD Rom, 2 screens - one onboard, the other an iX 3d ultimate -Rez.

I ran the OS X UW card updater. It flashes the card.

Cleared off a 5 gig partition on the ATA drive (Set to slave off the DVD-ROM.

Went to Boot with the OSX CD that just arrived.

No Go. Machine just reboots & I get a blank Screen.

The only way I can get the machine to boot back to OS 9 is to warm reboot and to CMD-OPT-SHIFT-P-R.

So I pull the extra Video Card. Same result.

Pull the ATA Drive.

Same thing.

Ok...

So now that I've got the machine back to (almost, except for the ram) it's stock configuration...

Does anyone have any advice on how to get this to boot into OS X?

Thanks

Originally posted by jeffgreenberg
Ok...Here's the story.

So now that I've got the machine back to (almost, except for the ram) it's stock configuration...

Thanks

I'm kind of having the same problem. I removed the UW SCSI card as well, and used a Apple IDE drive to see if it was the UW SCSI, but it still wont boot the OS X CD. What kind of on board video do you have according Apple System Profiler?

Originally posted by ezra
Ok...Here's the story.

Thanks

I'm kind of having the same problem. I removed the UW SCSI card as well, and used a Apple IDE drive to see if it was the UW SCSI, but it still wont boot the OS X CD. What kind of on board video do you have according Apple System Profiler?

Even with the Voodoo card installed?

Ezra:

video Card left: stock motherboard.

According to Apple System Profiler

ATI, Mach 64 3d Pro
Card revision 92
VRam 6mb

I'm going to at least try OSX on my g4 at work today.

Jeff

this won't help you if you can't boot from the CD, but beware that the OSX must reside somewhere on the first 8 gigs of your HD to work. I don't know if this is the first 8 gigs of the first drive or ANY drive, so it may be a problem when you try to install.

had a strange problem first time on my beige 300: when I booted off the OSX CD (pressing c) the computer just rebooted (like zapping the pram), after a couple of reboots I released the c-key and the system booted into X... odd.

Ezra:

video Card left: stock motherboard.

According to Apple System Profiler

ATI, Mach 64 3d Pro
Card revision 92
VRam 6mb

I'm going to at least try OSX on my g4 at work today.

Jeff

I have the same card, so I have a feeling OS X will not support this ATI card. I sent Apple note regarding these cards that they shipped with Audio/Video bundle in the Beige G3's. Hopefully we will get some support in the next rev.

You may have messed up the firmware on the first try.

Try booting into Open Firmware (cmd-opt-O-F, I think). At the prompt type:

set-defaults

then

bye

That should restore the firmware. Then try booting from the CD again holding down the "c" key.

Frank

Well I have had a run of bad luck with my beige G3. I tried to install OS X on a ATA drive all by itself and got it installed fine and even used it a few hours before the machine ceased to function. The powersupply crapped out.

Here is what I had installed if it helps:

300 MHz G3
Rage Pro with 6Mb VRAM
Motherboard Rev. 3
224 Mb RAM
ATTO UW SCSI
IBM 4Gb + 9Gb UW SCSI Hard Drives
Seagate 8.4 Gb ATA Hard Drive
Zip 100
Yamaha 4x4x16 CD-RW
Apple CD-ROM
**Apple Audio/Video In/Out Card on the Video Card**

Now OS X installed fine and worked but the machine quit working. I don't know if this could be connected, I also upped the size on the ATA drive at the same time.

[Edited by skeedog98 on 09-27-2000 at 10:00 AM]

Originally posted by fmalloy
You may have messed up the firmware on the first try.

Try booting into Open Firmware (cmd-opt-O-F, I think). At the prompt type:

set-defaults

then

bye

That should restore the firmware. Then try booting from the CD again holding down the "c" key.

Frank

Tried that on the second boot, but it doesn't change anything. I tried everything I could think of or was advised of, it's just a unsupported video option. Not all Beige G3's shipped with the Audio/Video DVD personality cards, only the people who payed the extra for that option got them. It's just an odd machine that was built during the transition stage, so there is not that many of them. I can understand why they would be overlooked, and some people even argue with me that they ever existed when I have one. 8)

Back