Help beta test new file sharing applicaton!

CaptainFoo

Registered
I spent the last couple of days to make a small application that I have really missed several times. Often you have files on your computer that you want to share with a friend, but they are too large to send by email and MSN/Icq is just too slow...

So, I've created a small program, DropShare, just drag and drop a file, and the program automatically sets up a miniature web server and shares the file. It's even possible to share complete directories!

Before I release the program for real, it would be great to get som feedback!

It's possible to download the program from http://www.dropshare.net. Hope you enjoy it and find it useful!

Ive got mixed feelings about this. Emails can hold large volumes of data nowadays surely?! If not its often easier to place large files on a data stick for them.

Both sender and recieved need to be online for this to work aswell yeah? So loses out to email again there.

Ill give it a go though, see if it i could have a use for it. Sorry if i sound like a pessimist, im not.

I got the idea when one of my friends wanted to have a copy of the photos I had taken on our trip to Japan. There are quite a lot of photos, actually about 1.5 GB of them. I don't think many mail-servers accept attachments that large... In addition, with DropShare you can also share the directory, which enables your friend to browse the contents of it and only download the files he/she is interested in.

But as you say, the need for both parties to be online can be a bit of a downside!

I think that specialized software already exist for that purpose. Different P2P programs are supposed to do that.

Some of these softwares do also manage to go through firewalls.

I think that specialized software already exist for that purpose. Different P2P programs are supposed to do that.

Some of these softwares do also manage to go through firewalls.

Yes, this is true. But all these programs require that the person you send the files to has custom software installed. With DropShare anyone with a browser can download. Also it is very, very simple to use.

But then why not just use Mac OS X' internal webserver?

Did you actually try the application? It is obviously an option to use the internal webserver, only DropShare is much more convenient:

1) You do not need to copy the files to your webserver's directory.
2) With DropShare it is very hard to guess url's, your files are safer. Also you can much easier access them yourself. Just select and copy.

Back