HELP! cannot logout, shutdown, reboot...

ropers

Registered
I've been running 10.1.5 w/o hassle.
Then I took the most recent security update (2002-08-02) via Software update.

Now it no longer completes any logout, shutdown or reboot.

It goes to an all blue screen (the finder, menu bar, background pic and dock all disappear) and there it just hangs. I can still move the mouse. Command-Alt-Esc brings up Force Quit but there are no tasks listed. I can still bring up the Shutdown - Restart - Sleep - Cancel window by tapping the power button but regardless what I click there, it doesn't do anything.
If however I go sudo shutdown now in Terminal it does shut down (to the singleuser command prompt).

I then looked at a few things and realised that I still had an (expired) BETA of Norton Untilities installed - I uninstalled that, but it didn't make a change.

I realised that I had a few programs running while I had been taken the update (including a hard to shut down java program), so I thought that might have been a problem. I took the update again, but it didn't make a difference.

I am of course not perfectly certain if this update caused the issue but everything points to it.

Any ideas anybody?

I do not want to rebuild my machine.
Is it possible to "uninstall" such an update? (revert to prev. state)
Has anybody else had this problem?
Any suggestions on the use of UNIX tools?
(fsck seems to always start as if I had specified -p in singleuser boot? I cannot get it to go in interactively?)
I would be ready to shell out for any tools if I knew they were going to fix this.

Back