Help! Cin killed Cout ...

maccatalan

Registered
Hi.

I made a C++ program. It's works very well on Linux and on CodeWarrior's SIOUX-WASTE interface, but not on Darwin's console. I mean :

when I do :
cout << "Enter a key : ";
cin >> akey;

Then on Darwin the application acts as if there was written in the code :

cin >> akey;
cout << "Enter a key : ";

Of course, if I use cerr instead of cout there's no problem, but more rare : even if I make a flush the problem still exists.

I tried to change the shell, the problem continues.

And the problem is the same in both Terminal application and console (when you log as >console).

Have you got an idea ? :confused:
Thank you to help me,
Pierre.

PS: I would like to don't put any endl at the end of text output, since I'd like the user to see "Enter a key : _" (where '_' is the cursor).

ladavacm

Unperson Spotter
That would seem to be a cout tty flush bug, present in gcc or libiostream.

From C on practically any UNIX, fprintf is autoflushing if you are writing to a tty; it is block-flushing otherwise. To deal with that, one uses:

fprintf( file, format, ... );
fflush( file );

The same should be done using C++:

cout << "whatever";
cout.flush();

This does not seem to work with cout. The FreeBSD 2.95.2 version of gcc always autoflushes cout (wasteful), whereas OS X gcc seems to do that only on endl.

maccatalan

Registered
so without doing :

cerr << "enter a key : ";
cin >> mykey;

there's no solution ...

Thank you anyway,
Pierre.

maccatalan

Registered
you can find more information about this subject on a last thread I didn't see (sorry).

here you've got the <a href="http://www.macosx.com/showthread.php?threadid=4236">link</a>.

Pierre.

bradleysmith

Registered
I'm short on time so look at the code, try it to prove to yourself that it works then read up on the function. Note that IMHO this is not a bug in Mac OS X. I believe the specification for the functions are so wooly that different implementations will work differently. VC++ on windows has a similar problem: -

int foo;
// important bit here!
cin.sync_with_stdio(false);
cout << "Enter a number : ";
cin >> foo;
cout << "you entered " << foo << endl;
return 0;

Note the sync_with-stdio call. This is what makes it all work.

Regards
Brad