Help! Constant disconnecting!

Esquilinho

Registered
I'm being constantly disconnected from the Internet! Every 5 minutes or so!
All the time I have to Renew DHCP Lease!

Any idea why this is happening? I haven't done anything to my mac lately (I mean, no new installs or anything...)

(BTW, I'm running 10.4.3)

Well: That's not enough info. :)

1.) Where are you getting the DHCP lease from? A router of some sort? Restart that one. If that doesn't help, install the newest firmware on it. Well: Do that anyway is my tip.

2.) How do you notice that you're disconnected? Is that through AirPort, where you see the network vanishing? That could give a lot of different answers...

1) I don't have a router, only a Cable modem. (I just go to the system preferences and click on Renew DHCP lease and I get connected again).

2) I only notice I'm disconnected because either iChat gets disconnected or I try to access a site and I can't...

Esquilinho said:
1) I don't have a router, only a Cable modem. (I just go to the system preferences and click on Renew DHCP lease and I get connected again).

2) I only notice I'm disconnected because either iChat gets disconnected or I try to access a site and I can't...

Try power cycling your Cable modem. Do you know if the connection is bridged?

Esquilinho said:
All that's chinese to me...

Power cycling entails turning the unit off and then turning it back on (I usually wait a few minutes before turning it back on).

Take a look at the IP address that is assigned to your computer when it DHCPs. Then open up a web browser and go to somewhere like www.whatismyip.com. If the two IPs are the same then your connection is bridged.

Esquilinho said:
yep, it's bridged

Did the power cycling help?

If it's bridged you probably have a static IP with your ISP. I'd call them to confirm. You should have them check your equipment (they should be able to do that remotely). If you have a static IP, you should be able to manually configure your host so that it doesn't need to DHCP. Just note what the settings are after it's done a successful DHCP and then enter them in manually. The problem with this is that if anything changes on their end (gateway, dns servers, even your IP) then your connection will cease to function.

Probably the best thing to do is confirm that your cables are connected correctly and then call the ISP so that they can troubleshoot the connection and your equipment.

Thanks for your help! But now it seems to be OK again, without doing anything... weird... must have been some ISP problem.

About the static IP: I've had this ISP for more than a year now and I never had a static IP. Would they change it now for no reason? I know this is Portugal, but still... ;)

Back