Help - DSL Stalling

pbrice

I need help!

I recently moved to DSL at my home. Since then, I suddenly stall when trying to access sites I previously had no problems with.

My ISP Tech Support indicated that it was a problem that Apple is aware of but refuses to admit to. Regardless if that is true, they sent me instructions to update my MTU settings thru command line.

Here's their instructions:
1) Open a Terminal Window (Under Hard Drive/Applications/Utilities)
2) Enter the following: "sudo ifconfig ppp0 MTU 1428"
3) The customer will then need to enter their user password.
4) To check that all was updated, type "ifconfig -a" and insure that MTU is set to 1428
5) Close the Terminal Window, connect and browse at will

They indicated that i would have to do this everytime I restarted as it would not hold.

When I tried this, I received the following results:
Welcome to Darwin!
[localhost:~] xxxxxxxx% sudo ifconfig ppp0 MTU 1428
Password:
ifconfig: MTU: bad value
[localhost:~] xxxxxxxx% ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,b6,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
media: autoselect (10baseT/UTP <half-duplex>) status: active
supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex>
ppp0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1492
inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --> xxx.xxx.xxx.x netmask 0xffffff00
[localhost:~] xxxxxxxx%

When i attempt to access the problem sites, it contacts them, then sits with a status of "Awaiting document from ...."

It also seems that I cannot ping these sites - 100%packet loss. This is only on select sites. Otherwise, everything is fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm afraid I can't help with the infconfig part, but once you get that figured out, you should be able to add a startupitem to redo this automatically every reboot.

The format for these is fairly simple - look in /System/Librarly/StartupItems for examples, and search trhough these forums for details. You would likely want this to run only after the netwrok is up, so you'd want 'Requires ("Network")' in the startupparameters.plist (check the Network startup item to see exactly the spelling of the service it provides ).

Maybe your ISP forgot an argument in their instructions. The command...

sudo ifconfig en0 inet mtu 1428

...worked for me - I'm not sure if capitalization matters.

Interestingly, I had been having a bit of trouble with my DSL connection in the past couple of weeks. Even though I do not use PPPoE ( I set it for en0 ), that fixed it right away. Go figure.

Thanks for your help everyone!

My DSl is up and running! Stalling has stopped (for the most part).

Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday!

pb

Back