Help for a Scratch Start

Mikel

Registered
I remember setting up and using xwindows on Linux systems. It was hard. Now I'm trying to get my OSX10.3 to work with it - it's impossible. I would love to just simply see an Xwindow GUI.

Quite frankly, I've lost my patients. Sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting. My nerves are a little frayed after a busy night night of zero production. I guess I'm pleading.

By trying to set it up for OSX, I have encountered far too many errors by means of missing files, bad paths, sequence of commands, etc. It has been many months and I cannot get past fink or a small blank xinit screen.

The help sites are well intentioned, but royaly suck in many ways. If somebody can just make a set of instructions like, "Press this. Type this. Edit this file like this. Do this command. Type this..." and VOILA! (a good bash file would be better). A set of instructions with no history, no thousand-version garbage, no double talk.

An example installation and execution of a simple graphic application would clinch the lesson.

The objective is simple: Install, for OS X 10.3 (retail version), what is needed to use the graphical Open Source software that's out there. After that is done, learning is easily achieved by combining hacking with documentation (just reading docs don't work - it's like reading about surgery then trying it).

Does anybody on this earth know where one can find such straight forward information?

Guess what? After all my hair-pulling, I just click an application icon (xlincity in this case) and it works. Don't ask me why. Time to investigate... this is the stuff.

I still think a startup intro for Open Source on OSX, without ifs and/or buts, needs to be written.

Back