Help! -- how does Mac OS 10.4 determine the number of users connected?

djbeta

Registered
Hi,

I have an important machine at my job that several Mac and PC users have to connect to. In fact they are connecting already. In total, there are about 12 Mac Users and 12 PC users, but that number will grow. The nature of the connection is a permanent one... PCs map to the drive on startup and the Macs mount the drive when a database is launched.

the machine runs Mac OS X standard version, not server.
So, technically, the machine is limited to 10 users connecting to it.
Apple support wasn't able to tell me how this "10" is calculated though.. and I wasn't able to get them to put me through to an engineer.

My question is, how is this "10" calculated? Are Mac connections and Windows Sharing connections counted the same way. I am pretty sure I've had more than 10 people connected to this machine and have never heard of someone being refused connection, so I'm wondering if it only counts the user as a "1" if they are doing a file transfer or something like that.

This is important to me because I feel I may need to upgrade the machine to Mac OS X Server. It's a busy machine with lots of system configs so I wouldn't want to do a fresh install... rather.. I'd get the "upgrade from Client to Server" package .. I forget what it's called.. If anyone has info about that, please let me know.. and also, I'm wondering if that upgrade would affect my instances of built-in Apache, PHP 5 with Zend Optimizer, and MySQL... I am using all those quite extensively and would cause work-stoppage to several departments if one of the applications went down.

Any advice would be appreciated!!
thanks!

I believe it calculates it from AFP connections. I know for sure that you cannot have more than 10 AFP connections. However, I think you can use SMB/Windows File Sharing connections over that (?) or at least in addition to.

Back