HELP! I am dorkin out here...

Gunk

Registered
Ok , I know this probably a MAC 101 question...

I send clients, freinds and family pictures. I'm sending from a MAC - most of them have a PC.

They can't open the .sit folders

So, I try sending a tiff, in zip format and pc byte order (this is photoshop "save as" structure) and still they can't open.

Does anyone have any suggestions...other than telling everyone else they should have a MAC! :)

Note: I sometimes send these thru and old Aol account if that matters

thanks

I used that have that problem too and I believe it had to do with how AOL zips the files when emailing....

Ever since I upgraded to AOL for MAC OSX this seems to have gone away.

you're sending pics - just send them as attachments. no need to zip them. best to make them 'web ready' with no resources. unless they're planning to print them, this should work fine.

or you could open a yahoo account and use their picture sharing. then all you would have to do is send them a link.

.jpg should be light enough for emailing.

But - It could have something to do with mail.app as well. I had to send 6 MB of images for an article yesterday - all from mail.app, as .jpgs, and the receiver told he could not open them. I don't know why mail.app does it sometimes but it happens - So I simply uploaded those pictures to a site for a day.

Yahoo or similar account is a good idea - upload pictures once and save the friends email space ;)

I do send them as attachments (from AOL), but aol or the MAC zips...I mean suffits them. and I've tried to send them JPEG, which works, but I still get complaints!

Granted, the one client I'm thinking of specifically, is compu-tarded!

But a networking friend had a similiar issue and he is NOT Compu-tarded!

You might try gzip from the terminal, though that is an annoyance, it will work and WinZip will open the file.

You could also use "DropZip" from Alladin, which is shareware. That seems to work.

So symphonix, you're saying that I need to get a pc compatible "zipper"?

And if yes, then how do I disable my Stuffit connected to my aol and mail program.

So symphonix, you're saying that I need to get a pc compatible "zipper"?

And if yes, then how do I disable my Stuffit connected to my aol and mail program.

I always thought that using lossless jpg compression pretty much did the same thing as zipping the file... hmmm.

I'm not sure how AOL handles stuffing files, I imagine that's where we've run off the rails. ;-) I was not aware that AOL automatically stuffs your files (wow, that sounds like a good feature, eh?).

WinZip is a PC program used for handling Zip files.

I was of the impression that WinZip on the PC could open .sit files, but it might simply be a version incompatibility there since newer versions of the sit format have come out.

The program "DropZip" is part of the drop-stuff package from Alladin and simply lets you create zips through drag and drop. I'm sure it's not the only option, but it is an option that works. There is also a DropStuff (for .sit files) and DropGZip.

You could also use gzip from the command line to turn a file into a .gz, which WinZip on the PC will read.

I know this isn't much help, but perhaps it will point you toward a solution.

thanks edx...

but maybe there are reasons I use aol...like....it's a eight year old mail account and it's been free that entire time for reasons that are none of your snide business.

And I do have the real internet and another mail account wherein whatever I send gets automatically stuffed

...don't know why I'm taking the time out to respond a condescending comment like yours...oh yeah, I thought the title "administrator" would lend some maturity/credibility...

If thats the only kind of comment you can offer - kindly keep them to yourself.

you know my feelings about aol are pretty well known around here. but inspite of them i started out trying to help you. that was not my only post in your thread if you hadn't noticed. but it seems that your problem may come down to the way aol handles things. i was simply making a very real suggestion that perhaps it was time to reconsider your provider if this is that important to you. but i'll be more than glad to ignore all your future requests for help if that is what you want. :rolleyes:

i still think your best solution is to find yourself some free online photo sharing space. it's just so much easier for everybody.

Put the photos online. With a password if you want - yahoo or bravenet deal with that quite well - you save time from sending the same attachments to many persons separately, and your friends won't find huge emails (so probably more comfortable for them as well).

That 'thing' that happens is not related ONLY to aol. i tried to send some big photos to a magazine earlier this week - and they got them only as binary crap (not as pictures) - in the end I simply uploaded the pix and sent the URL. I think that 'thing' happens even without using aol - but I guess AOL isn't one of the most Mac friendly providers.

thanks edx and giaguara for the suggestions, I'll look into the site idea...

Edx - I appreciate the more thoughtful reply. I did not know your stance on AOL, but I have heard it from others and I do agree. It is an old maill address I've maintained for the hell of it...I actually use a friends T1 via "Nextdoor Neighbor Network" :) and IE and netscape. No harm done... I do appreciate any and all considerations

Have your friends use Expander from Aladdin. It's free. It will unstuff the files.

AOL normally stuffs files when you send them whether you want the files compressed or not. AOL's always been like this.

Originally posted by BitWit
I always thought that using lossless jpg compression pretty much did the same thing as zipping the file... hmmm.
There is no such thing... JPEG is lossy by definition.

Your friends should be able to open .sit files but .zip is better just in case. However the real problem is not the compression, but the encoding. Check to see how your email program is encoding attachments. You should choose Base64, not BinHex or AppleDouble (AppleDouble is supposed to work for PCs too but I've had problems with it). If you can't change the encoding with AOL, you need to use another email client.

And as far as 'to compress or not to compress' that depends on the number of files you are attaching, not the size of the file. If you try to compress a single file, you can actually make the file larger. Compression is for multiple files.

Recess!

Back