HELP i broke my friends iBook.

twister

Howdy
HELP i broke my friends iBook. Well not broke as is physically but we updated to 10.1.3 and it crashed and we restarted and now the mouse won't work. NOW WHAT!!!! I hate to tell her to wipe everything and start over. HELP me please!

Twister

Hmm. Can you boot into OS 9? Does the mouse still work there? If so, then you'll have to re-install X. If not, then take it to an authorized technician and have them check it. Good luck.

I blame a lot on Microsoft but AOL seems to be the real culprit in most cases. Even simple little AIM (not so much in os X but very much so in OS 9) would do some weird stuff to my computer.

1) i tried apple+s and ran fsck -y and that didnt help, i even tried the disk first aid on the 10.1 CD. Everything came up ok.
2) i tried to reinstall off of the 10.1 CD and it wouldn't let me
3) i tried to reinstall the 10.1.3 update but i the disk wouldn't mount. Error -192.
4) how do i startup off 9? I cant get into the startup disk area because i have no mouse!
5) if i do a clean install of X will it erase 9 files? It's all one partition.
6) where does software update keep the updates? maybe i can just get back in there and trying running that package again.
7) i'll tell her about macosx.com but since i broke it i'm fixing it. She's not as mac savy.

Thanks for the help :)

Twister

Originally posted by twister
HELP i broke my friends iBook. Well not broke as is physically but we updated to 10.1.3 and it crashed and we restarted and now the mouse won't work.

The exact same thing happened to me as well, actually. That was on a PowerMac G4. However, I was really lucky because I had VNC installed on the box so I could log in from my iBook and run the 10.1.3 package update again. After reboot everything worked as it should, and never seen a problem since!

So I guess the lesson is: Always have VNC or Timbuktu installed :p

At startup (just after GOONG alert) hit apple-alt-o-f to get into open firmware
then type

reset-NVRAM
reset-all

your mac will reboot

on boot hit apple-v (verbose mode)
this will lauch the SystemStarter in testual mode and so mouse will be not be detected later (after SystemStarter launch)

What append to your mac if you plug-in an external usb mouse ??

Try this also !!
on boot hit apple-s (single user mode)
then at prompt type:
mount -uw / (enter)
rm /Users/your-friend-user-name/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist

this operation is similar to preferences removing in the old MacOS 9.x so your mac will be forced to reset all its parameters even the mouse ....

Good Luck !!
let's know !!!

thanks i'll give it a try tonight.

Ohh and i even tried an usb external mouse and did nothing also.

Twister

Pay attention to what is being said. All is sound and good advice.

Have you tried to start holding Alt? It should present you a graphical menu of startup volumes and OS's, can you move the mouse then?

dani++

Well we are on spring break and my friend doesn't want to worry about it until next week. So now i have to wait.

Twister

Back