Help!! Im trying to backup my Itunes Library

CAGS

Registered
Hey Everyone
I was wondering if anyone could give a novice a few tips.
Im am currently attempting to Upgrade my Os to 10.3 in order to connect to a wireless network so Im in the process of trying to backup my Itunes library. Im not online so can't download Apples backup programme and don't know how to find out if 10.24 has one inbuilt.
Im wondering firstly how to go about backing up my library on disc and secondly if there are any quicker alternatives ?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Cags

Personally, what I do when I am re-installing OS X is just drag the "iTunes" folder from the Music directory onto an External disk. When I am done installing OS X, I re-install iTunes, replac the empty folder it creates with the one I copied over to my Extenral HDD, and all is good again :D Just got to make sure you dont forget to copy the "iTunes Library" and "iTunes Music Library.xml" files along eith the files.

There may be better ways, but I can't imagine anything easier than clicking and dragging a folder.

For backing it up on disc, the procudure would be the same, except that you may have to do it in chunks, spanning the library over a few discs.

Thank The Cheese said:
Personally, what I do when I am re-installing OS X is just drag the "iTunes" folder from the Music directory onto an External disk. When I am done installing OS X, I re-install iTunes, replac the empty folder it creates with the one I copied over to my Extenral HDD, and all is good again :D Just got to make sure you dont forget to copy the "iTunes Library" and "iTunes Music Library.xml" files along eith the files.

There may be better ways, but I can't imagine anything easier than clicking and dragging a folder.

For backing it up on disc, the procudure would be the same, except that you may have to do it in chunks, spanning the library over a few discs.

That's what I do. All of your music is in tact. If you burn it on cd's it will take you longer and Im not sure if it keeps your playlists and all that other stuff. It also depends how much music you have. If you have a lot then I dont think it's worth burning on discs.

Flomac said:
...and Im not sure if it keeps your playlists and all that other stuff...

it does, it keeps all your song info,playlists, album art, ratings and comments in tact. All that info is kept in the "iTunes Library" and/or "iTunes Music Library.xml" files, so you have have to make sure you back them up along with the music, and put them back after. The album art and comments are obviously kept in the MP3 files themselves.

Before I got my External HD I did it onto discs and it worked fine. It does take a lot longer though :S

Thank The Cheese said:
it does, it keeps all your song info,playlists, album art, ratings and comments in tact. All that info is kept in the "iTunes Library" and/or "iTunes Music Library.xml" files, so you have have to make sure you back them up along with the music, and put them back after. The album art and comments are obviously kept in the MP3 files themselves.

Before I got my External HD I did it onto discs and it worked fine. It does take a lot longer though :S

That's good to know. Thanks for the info. =)

Back