Help! Image Capture Issues

steezyb

Registered
Just returned from a very long trip and have over 1,000 photos I am trying to upload. When importing pictures, Image Capture is uploading all my images out-of-order and re-numbering the photo files (i.e. the file/photo number on image capture does not correlate to the file/photo number of the originals). My Nikon is operating fine - with all images in order - but when I plug it into Image Capture they upload out-of-order. All help is greatly appreciated, I really really don't want to reorder over 1000 photos taken over the past three months!!!

I am running on Mac OS X 10.4.11

Because I absolutely hate iPhoto and the way it organizes my photos - it divided my pictures into 28 separate folders, plus attaches 'originals' and 'thumbs' folders to each of the 28 folders - creating a grand total of 56 folders. Not awesome.

iPhoto is meant to be a front-end to the filesystem such that the underlying filesystem structure is virtually invisible (and doesn't need mucking with). Users of iPhoto should not concern themselves with how the photos are organized physically on the hard drive.

I understand that to more powerful users, this is not desirable, but for the majority of people it's the best solution. Jus' sayin' for a little insight into iPhoto -- it's a general photo management tool for "the rest of us" but is not geared toward more powerful or professional photography users.

Could it be that your "List View" setting in Image Capture is set to sort the photos differently than they are on the camera?

Folders?! I suppose only if you're the kind of person who likes to browse and organize photos in folders. Could also be dependent on the version of iPhoto you're using. But Apple's intention was to prevent the user from having to organize manually in the Finder and ease organization within the iPhoto application. Regardless of the number of folders present, invisible to me, I can put all of a set of photos in one album or event and not be concerned. But that's just me, I guess.

iPhoto is meant to be a front-end to the filesystem such that the underlying filesystem structure is virtually invisible (and doesn't need mucking with). Users of iPhoto should not concern themselves with how the photos are organized physically on the hard drive.

I understand that to more powerful users, this is not desirable, but for the majority of people it's the best solution. Jus' sayin' for a little insight into iPhoto -- it's a general photo management tool for "the rest of us" but is not geared toward more powerful or professional photography users.

Could it be that your "List View" setting in Image Capture is set to sort the photos differently than they are on the camera?
Well put; I appreciate the suggestions for iPhoto, but personally hate using the program - I am not looking for a management tool, I need the flexibility of managing photos myself so I can easily navigate between software for various projects.

As for Image Capture, where is the 'List View' located? The only option I'm given to change the order of photos is under the 'View' tab. I can choose 'as Icon' or 'as List,' neither of which changes anything. The problem is that Image Capture is actually re-numbering my photos from that on the Camera. Is there a new version of Image Capture that I could try reinstalling? Or perhaps different software I could download to manually manage my photos?

Back