Help in IP & Wireless issue

K.S.S

Registered
hi guys..

i uesd my personal pc at work where i shifted to a new job... they have a wireless modem for all employee ... i entered as they gave me configraution and it works fine..

then the next day .. i couldn't .. it gives me full signal but there is a worrning says

IP configuration
XX.XXX.X.XX in use by XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, DHCP server XX.XXX.X.X

(where X's are numbers for ip) ..

i tried to restart the macbook & reinter the configuration of the wirless router but no luck... anyone knows whats wrong please..

how i let make release the IP or find a way

You could try renewing DHCP lease in System Preferences. Or, depending on the size of your company switch to Manual IP set up (could wreak havoc though) if your company uses DHCP

how to rename it? and how to make the IP manual ... am cluless in system preference and configuration stuff

Depending on how complex your network is, this may or may not work. Simply copy the settings you have when connected DHCP. Change it to manual. For IP Address use the same excact 1 3 segments (i.e. 192.168.1) For the last one, change the segment to something between 100-255. If someone else already has that IP address you'll get the error message. If it's free it should work.

Create a new Location (apple menu) for each network. Your computer is trying to access the wired network instead of the wireless, methinks.

Then you can tell your mac which network to access and those settings will be present. Resetting your DHCP lease would be a good idea once you create Locations for your old and new (wireless) networks.

You need to leave your Mac set to pick up it's IP address by DHCP. The original problem was caused, as I understand it, by you manually entering the IP address. The wireless system is obviously running a dhcp server and issuing IP addresses on a first come first served basis. The error message you got was because the IP address you were trying to use had been issued to another system.

Leave it set to pick up from DHCP and your problem should be resolved.

how to rename it? and how to make the IP manual ... am cluless in system preference and configuration stuff

Go to control panel, select network pane. Select the airport network settings option. Configure ip4 "via DHCP" for automatic configuration (you are done). Or select "Manual" for manual configuration. Now the real trouble begins because make sure you select an ip-number to be free and inside the valid range, enter the correct netmask, enter the gateway address and maybe even the DNS settings.

Either you have the settings on MANUAL or some else has his settings to MANUAL with the IP-number you were assigned too as his IP-number.

If you require a static IP-number, make sure it is inside the valid range (for the entered netmask, but outside the range of numbers distributed by the DHCP server. (e.g. DHCP uses 192.168.2.100 to 199 with netmask 255.255.255.0, then assign e.g. 192.168.2.50 or 192.168.2.200 or 192.168.2.240 to your computer).

So unless the way static ip-numbers are distributed is closely managed by a pro, always use the DHCP server for IP-number assigments.

Good luck, Kees

Back