HELP! long delay in startup

sergiobn

Registered
When I restart my Mac in OS X and the Finder appears, there's a long delay (about 1 minute) till I can perform any task. When I click in a folder, alias, application, nothing happens. What is this?

Try updating the prebinding, or "optimizing system performance" as Apple call it.
Go to the terminal and type
"sudo update_prebinding -root /"
without the quotation marks, of course, then enter, type your password and press enter again.

You can also try to start up in single user mode, (hold down command and s while booting), then type
"fsck -y"
into the console, and press enter when it's finished booting. That will check and eventually repair the startup volume catalog file. Then type "reboot" and enter when it's finished to boot up normally.

others third-parties than ASM 2.0.2 or LaunchBarcan also explain this delay. My trackball needs something like 30 seconds to move correctly. I think it's the time my preferencepanes (a kensington) needs to be enabled. anotherone, spy, also needs some ten seconds to appear in my menubar, and the corners of Maxmenus only arrive after some 30 seconds too.
Globally, the finder needs 35-40 s. to be really active.
It doesn't really bother me.

I'm using a Kensington Turbo Mouse wireless trackball. Perhaps it is the cultprit...
I'll try to disconnect the trackball and restart.

Try going into System Preferences, open the Login pane, and then check under the login items tab. If you have a lot of items there, it explains at least part of the delay. All of those items in the list are being launched every time you log in (some of them perhaps in the background, without you knowing it). This will eat time when you first log in.

How did those items get in the login list? Well, if you didn't put them there, an app probably inserted them into the list when you installed the app (e.g. Palm Desktop). It may or may not be safe to remove things from the login list, depending on the app that installed it and what you're doing with the app.

Back