HELP! lost my USB ports

andrewhicks

Registered
Hi,

Need some help here. Not sure whether this falls under software or hardware, but trust the Mods to move it.

I have a Conon s450 that is hooked up to a DUoConnect (Adaptec) dual USB/Firewire card in my old beige G3 (with G4 450 zif upgrade). I was happily printing until recent upgrades of the system. Canon drivers were not doing anything for me, so I installed Gimp print, which worked fine, except the colours are too saturated, and printing plain text takes a long time (like its printing an image).

I decided to uninstall Gimp print to re-try the latest Canon drivers for the s450, and followed the Gimp print instructions for removing the software (using the terminal).

Now, the problem is that I can not see the printer via the USB port. When trying to use print center to install the printer, no priinters are visible. I tired to go back and install Gimp print (4.2.5), but the USB port is not visible, and I cannot add an new printer.

So, Does anyone out there know what I can do to "see" the printer via the USB port? What could have gone wrong, and can it be fixed without a system re-install?

I have a mouse and bluetooth adapter plugged into the USB ports so they work, as does the Firewire port, but I cannot see the printer.

Thanks
Andrew

Can you see the printer and USB ports listed in Apple System Profiler under the devices and volumes tab?

Not under the USB section. But under the PCI card section I can see the PCI card and the 3 USB ports and the 2 firewire ports. There are no devices connected though.

I dont see the USB hub that has the mouse and bluetooth and scanner (canon N670U) connected, and I dont see the printer either connected to the hub or through one of the other USB ports on the card.

What puzzles me is that I was able to see this before, and did install the printer, but that once I removed the printer from within print centre initially (before removing the gimp print files as well through the terminal) I am not able to see the printer connected again.

Andrew

Back