HELP!!! Mac sticks at "Login Window Starting"

tmsimon

Registered
Ok, first of all I admit I am a windows person. This is all greek to me.
I was working on my bosses mac. She needed cable internet and printer set up. Both were already installed, the problem was they both wanted the ethernet plug and there was only one. I got an ethernet 8 port mini switch. She was also out of usb plugs so I attached a usb hub. Hooked it all up and it printed while on the internet and the usb speakers I attached worked great! Then a screen popped up saying updates were available. I chose the osx update and some security updates and unchecked the ipod stuff since she would never us it. As the updates were downloading/installing the power went out in the house. When it came back on and I rebooted, it seems to boot fine until it gets to "Login window starting" then it sits there......progress bar still moves but that's it.

Could a file have been in the middle of installing when the power went out? Is that the problem? I dont' have any mac discs but I will look at the office tomorrow and maybe I can find them.

This woman is gonna fire me if I can't fix it. I just know it!

Can anyone help? Please?

Thanks for the help.

Tom
tmsimon@comcast.net

I had my mac do something similar.

It would boot, and constnatly come up with the login box. It would come up and disappear after a few seconds before repeating. It went on and on and I could not stop it. In the end I figured it was time for me to do a fresh install anyway.

I think this may have been caused by an update.

My system

Powermac g5 Dual 1.8ghz

Something similar happened to me when I upgraded to 10.4.6... check this thread out and try the recommendations there.

Back