help me configure Media Player for OSX

cwoody222

Registered
I downloaded Windows Media Player for OSX on Caraccho.

What I don't understand is how to get IE to recognize it as a plugin/helper, whatever, so I can use it to watch streaming videos on sites that have the video embedded in their page.

Like how CNet.com does it...

Do I have to add it to the Helper App list in IE?

If so, can someone tell me what to add exactly?

Thanks!

AFAIK, this is impossible with the current beta. Just the same way that it doesn't open local files (there's a way around that, but the "open" menu doesn't work). That is of course, unless somehow you got a hold of the final version, in which case I would have no idea how to do it (but I would ask that you send it my way :D )

I can get mine to open local files.

I know I have the new Alanis single (from Maverick.com) on my desktop. If I double-click it, OSX tries to open my Classic version of WMP.

But if I use the Open menu I can play the file in OSX's version.

I'm not sure what my version number is - I'll check when I'm home later today.

Originally posted by cwoody222
I can get mine to open local files.

I know I have the new Alanis single (from Maverick.com) on my desktop. If I double-click it, OSX tries to open my Classic version of WMP.

But if I use the Open menu I can play the file in OSX's version.

I'm not sure what my version number is - I'll check when I'm home later today.

The last beta I've seen still has the same problem with opening local files. It will give you an error when you go to File -> Open and choose a file. However, if you go to File -> Open URL, you can select a local file (and as long as the codec exists) it will play fine.

Of course, it is entirely possible that I'm just out of the loop and a newer version is out.

Back