Help me finding the perfect word processor

toast

Gone !
Bored with Word. Why: crashes all the time.
Bored with TextEdit. Why: stylesheet handling sucks. No pagination.

So please help me finding the perfect text processor ! :D

The features I need :

- Mac OS X native (no OS9, no X11)
- Stylesheets
- Pagination
- Zoom
- Character count
- Live spellcheck
- Saves in RTF

Maybe I'm asking for too much :rolleyes: ...
Any ideas please people ?

Well. Openoffice. Sorry, it's X11, and it's not perfect for sure. I wish it looked more os x like. But office stuff is boring anyway, it does what it should, and it's free. I haven't found anything that'd beat it (at least on the same price group :D ).

Oh wait ... i fofgot. LaTeX. ;)

OpenOffice in X11 is really ugly, but it does indeed work. Easy to install, but it certainly takes a while. I haven't counted how many confirmation buttons and return keys you have to press during the installation. But unlike MS Office, it doesn't crash when you hit command-S or send personal information to large corporations.

I haven't had Word crash even once on X, using Word v.X.

No such thing as perfect. When you find the one you think is perfect, you'll find something you don't like about it, at least one little thing.

I think we should designate Toast to write a new word program for us, that has all the features that everyone wants, and works great, then give it to use for free for encouraging him to write it.

Whatya say Toast :)

I used Word, and it's stable (aside from the selection panel if you have it on). Maybe you should install it again.

Look at what is proposing BareBone, they have very nice word processors.

I don't know is word perfect has a good solution.

If you go money, there is one really good software: Adobe FrameMaker. This is a really great software to create large documents. It's expensive and require time to be mastered, but it's really stable and efficient.

Gia + Ksv > Sorry, I need something I can look at without vomitting on my keyboard. After all, elegance is also a Macintosh criteria.

Bob W > Don't even think about it :p :p :p

Chevy > I do have QuarkXPress, and BBEdit. I'm trying Mariner Write, not too bad !

Any other choices ?

Um...no I don't think it fits the requested features... 'course, I only know about the command line versions, so maybe I'm wrong.

DocType. This is a Document Markup Language, similar to HTML, but less formatting, more plain markup.
You then use the Doctype formatting tools, and a stylesheet, to convert it to LaTeX (and TeX), HTML, PostScript, PDF or even Troff.

I wrote an essay on Alternative Desktop Interfaces about 5 years ago using DocType, formatted as PDF, with Images from GIMP.

I wouldn't recommend Doctype for the average person, but if you want a well structured document, with consistant Styling and Layout, you cannot go past DocType.

WRT Word Processors, I've used WordPerfect 5.1, 6.0, 7.1, 8.0 and 10 for DOS, Windows, Linux and Java and consider it the only WordProcessor to use. It makes Word look like MemoPad on a Palm Pilot. (not really, but...) It also has "Reveal Codes" which allows you to view and edit the xml codes which make up the document, so you can get rid of superfulous formatting.

There is also a downloadable Trial, which you can use for 30 days. When I used Windows 98, I'd have to reinstall every month anyway, so it worked out well for me.

Does LaTex fit the requested features ?
Where to get it ?
- Mac OS X native (no OS9, no X11)
Several editors: TeXShop for instance.
- Stylesheets
LaTeX is a typesetting language, you can position everything you want, add packages as you see fit, make a template, write stuff and then apply it. Choosing different templates in TeXShop is as good as stylesheets.
- Pagination
you can set all parameters you need, including some you don't need, example for A4:
\documentclass[12pt, a4paper]{article}
\textwidth = 6.5 in
\textheight = 9 in
\oddsidemargin = 0.0 in
\evensidemargin = 0.0 in
\topmargin = 0.0 in
\headheight = 0.0 in
\headsep = 0.0 in
\parskip = 0.2in
\parindent = 0.0in

- Zoom
TeXShop sports zoom in the PDF preview.
- Character count
If necessary, word and character count can be done from the CLI.
- Live spellcheck
TeXShop is a Cocoa app, which can use any and all OS X spellchecking systems, e.g I use CocoaSpell which is syntax aware.
- Saves in RTF
LaTeX can be easily converted to RTF. Looks great.

Yes, LaTeX does have a learning curve, but with the fabulous programs available for OS X it is very easy to use. It's worth it, once there you won't look back.

Where to get it: TeXShop.
The TeTeX engine, which renders the code you produce, can be downloaded as per instructions on that site. I installed TeTeX through Fink.

Have you looked at Nisus writer? I used the preX version. There were some issues I had with the interface (no font selector, styles selector).

They've redone it for X, but I haven't used it. It uses drawers the way mail does, but they aren't my favorite.

Just a mo, l'll get a link oh ok nisus

ok, I just looked and styles sheets are still on the TODO list. my bad ;-(

Nisus Writer Express is the _exact_ thing you want. Yes, it might not have everything you'll want _yet_ - but it's the only Cocoa application that comes near. And it's a nice one, too.

FrameMaker does more (and costs more: $800). This is the sole software you can use to efficiently write complete databooks, scientific books or other complex documents.

fryke said:
Nisus Writer Express... And it's a nice one, too.

I'll second that! If I ever found myself needing more than what TextEdit and Okito Composer (which Nisus Writer Express is based on) offered, Nisus Writer Express would be the first place I would turn to.

Most all the features I need are accomplished with TextEdit and Create, with Okito Composer and AppleWorks there for the rare situations that call for something more.

But currently, TextEdit handles 99% of my writing needs (and thanks to services from Create, that includes painless HTML coding too).

This is probably later than you wanted, but someone just tried Mellel word processor and likes it very much. Metallic, fast, simple .. 25 $ if you like it.

Also Mariner Write might be worth a try.

Back