Help me get details about a MAC computer.

JMBennett1976

Registered
I am new to this forum. So, please bear with me.
I'm a student at Kaplan UV Online and in need of some help on an essay. I already know for sure that I want a MAC computer when I get into an IT profession, the only issue is, I cannot explain exactly what kind of MAC I want and need and I cannot explain in detail what the MAC I want has to offer someone in that kind of profession needs. This is all that has to be answered on the essay.
Please help someone.
Jenna

For starters, portable or desktop? That's preference, mostly.

If you need high-end processor and graphical performance, take a look at the Pro models - MacBook Pro and Mac Pro.

The iMac and MacBook are mid-range models, the iMac is slower than the Mac Pro, and you loose some upgradeability, but it's still powerful. The MacBook has a built-in graphics card, which isn't so good for intense graphical work and games.

The Mac Mini is a budget Mac. You loose upgradability, power, and (compared to the iMac) peripherals - including a monitor. It's still a good computer, but it's not intended for high-end work.

The Xserve is a server.

You can learn more about Macs here:
http://www.apple.com/hardware/

What's "that kind of profession" more exactly? Are you going into software development? Or graphics, or games? Anyway: I think a MacBook is a good place to start. Not too epensive, but comes with basically the same processing power as the MacBook Pro. And it's portable.

I suppose I should have been more detailed regarding the need of the information. I'm so sorry.
I'll be getting into web designing, hosting, marketing, and programming end of the websites.
No games really. Not yet at least.
I do know for a fact that I want the most power I can get out of any PC. Regardless of what type it is. I know that it has to be a portable computer, so guessing of course, a laptop/MacBook. I did view the iMac at the apple.com website. The professor supplied it to the class for research.
I think the highest they go is 750gb? I have no idea.
Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Erh... "750gb" would be the harddrive? Can't go there on a laptop yet, though. MacBook and MacBook Pro go to 200 GB or something like that. (Just take a look at store.apple.com for configurations and pricing.)

power - price - mobility: choose two. The most power would be in the Mac Pro desktop machines (you get the best processors there and can fill them up with harddrives etc., also they can be given great graphics cards). The best mobility you'll get with the MacBook (it's the smallest, lightest Mac portable with the longest battery life, currently). Price-wise, the iMac and Mac mini look better, but they both make sacrifices on some ends. (For example, you can't choose much in the processor department and there's no internal room for more than one harddrive, but you could fix _that_ by using FireWire or USB-2 harddrives.)

(some of this is repetitive, I was working on this post this morning, and I just got back to post it)

750 GB is the largest hard drive that you can put in the iMac, currently. The portables can get a 200 GB HD from Apple, or whatever size portable SATA drive you can find.If you get a MacBook or MacBook Pro, get at a minimum 1 GB of RAM. Especially for the MacBook, because it shares system RAM with video RAM. Apart from the video card, the MacBook Pro differs from the MacBook in screen size, processor speed (somewhat), and design.

Hi Jenna,

If you'll be working with very large photoshop files, or doing any heavy video editting with motion for example. The Macbook Pro would be the best since it has the best video card. I've been in the I.T field for 18 years now. Mostly building, fixing & maintaining computers and networks. For the past year or so I've gotten into the webhost side of things as well. I help a friend with her hosting business where I have full access to the server. I've just started as a contractor for help desk/tech support for a major webhost too.

For most typical web design work any computer will be more then powerful enough. I have an Intel Mac mini and it's handled everything I've thrown at it, Photoshop CS runs smooth under rosetta. Flash design has been fine, even with the integrated graphics card. Designing sites in HTML/CSS can be done on any computer.

If you mean using the Mac as a full host, I have heard of a few Mac web hosts. Most of the hosts are Linux/Unix because they're reliable, cheap to upgrade & maintain. Some offer Window servers too but internally we staff hate dealing with them. They are far more problematic then the Linux servers :p . If you only to get your feet wet with hosting any model will do (video card is a non issue with servers). You'd want an external drive though. In general you don't need a powerful system to run a host or server it's more important having enough drive space. A Mac mini for example with external hard drive(s) would make an excellent little web host. That's based on how Linux servers work, Mac host software might be more hardware demanding. Most of it these days is just point and click through a web interface. Gone are the days of setting up domain accounts manually through the terminal. For serious Mac hosting you'd ideally want the Mac Pro of course. For just starting out tho any Mac should be good enough with the proper external hard drive set-up. So if you need it to be portable the Macbook should do just fine. The Macbook Pro would be better if you need to do any real heavy duty photo or video editting work dealing with files several hundred MB/GB in size mainly for the better video card.

Just my 2 cents :D

Back