Help me out on my Design Technology "Major Project"

moloko23

Registered
Hey everyone, I've chosen to design a "cable organizer" for the back of a computer desk. I need some help, and thought some of you guys could help me out with some ideas...I was thinking of a L shaped box type cable organizer which you can clamp onto the back of a computer desk.
Any advice and or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Moloko23

I've given up on wire containment (in tubes or wraps) because I have too many running from behind my PC to various external devices. Instead I've been using twist-ties to selectively bundle the wires. Larger bundles will sometimes be split into smaller bundles along the path.

Working with twist-ties or plastic zip-ties is somewhat difficult since it requires two hands to fasten and you can't (easily) redo mistakes.

It would be nice to have a bundling mechanism that allows you to fasten wires together as you go. Something that can be operated with only one hand behind the computer. Maybe something like a modified hair-clip or wood clamp. It has to be strong enough to hold the bundled wires but it must not damage the wire. It needs to be flexible to allow for different thicknesses of wire to be bound together. Also it needs to be cheap since the normal user will probably be purchasing 6-10 per machine.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a box, which can be clamped onto the back of the computer desk where the wires can run through and be organized in different sections...

I was thinking of adding USB and firewire hubs into the design aswell as power rails, what do you guys think of that idea? I found some intersting products on the market already but not what I was really thinking of. I need some ppl who are intersted in this type of product to guide me as "consumers". I'm really stuck at the moment and need some advice pretty badly.

^I like the suggestons and advice but the problem is it can't be too minimalist although the one-handed idea is very helpful since I will be manufacturing the containment machanism myself. Thanx for the help so far and plase keep the ideas, feedback and wishes coming.

moloko23

Does anyone think there is an actual need for such a product? Because I get the impression that its not really something most computer enthusiasts would think of needing...Personally I enjoy my cables being very irganized but I don't really have system, I just let my cables hang down to the ground on thr back of my desk in a fashion as organized as I can get it.

For my dad's PC, which has a huge amount of miscellaneous cables and connections even by PC standards, I dumped the powerboard, modem, hub, AC adapters and slack cable (tied with wire ties to keep neat) into a little timber box under his desk. Its about 25cm (L) x 15cm (W) x 10cm (D), which is *almost* enough. I've never really been happy with this solution, though.

For my own iMac, I have dumped all the USB hubs, etc under a footboard section of the desk, so that they're hidden from view. A bundle of colour-matched cables for 1x USB, power and a Kensington lock, tied with colour matched plastic ties, is the only visible thing running down from the Mac. However, the area under that footboard looks like an altar to the Flying Sphaghetti Monster. Again, not really the perfect solution, and I would like to come up with something better.

The fact is, there are a lot of devices I never get to use, such as a USB gamepad, simply because it's too inconvenient to dig them out, dig into all those cables, and hook it up.

With my TV/hifi system in the lounge I custom built a cabinet with a 10cm deep hidden shelf just below the lowest shelf, where all the cables can be run. The opening to this shelf is a 15cm wide channel behind the hifi components. The entire cabinet is on furniture castors, though in retrospect if I were building it again I'd use large 2.5" or 3" castors concealed behind a skirt, as that would make it easier to push on the carpet. I then mounted an 8-way powerboard onto the outside back panel. This proved to eventually not be enough, so I've added a 4 way power-board as well. I also made the mistake of mounting it too low, so really large adapters such as the Airport Express tend to brush against the floor. All inputs, such as cable and TV antenna, run to a single patch bay on the rear panel.
It is really easy to work with, as I can just roll it out, and all the cables are easy to see and reach without having to look into dark crevices, etc. I can also unplug just three plugs (power, antenna and cable) and roll the whole thing into another room single-handed, without breaking a sweat.

I don't know if that helps you, but at least it points out a few things you should be thinking about while you're building.
- Never underestimate the amount of stuff that people will want to conceal behind a desk or cabinet. Have you seen the size of the XBox 360's power supply brick? Its nearly bigger than the unit itself, and needs plenty of ventilation.
- The trouble is that they grow exponentially, they tangle easily, they become hard to keep track of and they need to be both easily accessible without climbing in behind furniture (ie, you want something your grandma can handle), and hidden from view. Tough task, eh?
- Another thing to keep in mind is that there are a lot of things that require a lead to be left hanging, so that you can plug a device in and take it off again at convenience. Mobile phones and digital cameras are good examples of this.
- There is definitely a need for a new "why didn't I think of that?" way of sorting out all these cables. All of the solutions offered so far are pretty half-hearted and inelegant, such as cable ties with tags, little wire baskets that clip along the edge of a desk, and so on. They help, a little, but its a losing battle. If you can come up with a new way of dealing with this problem, you may actually do quite well off it.

I've also built a powertool charging cabinet in the back room with the chargers, power adapters and so on all mounted along a pine rail, with metal hooks underneath to keep cables neatly wound. Not a bad idea if your shed is looking a bit messy. :)

Best of luck with your project.

Back