Help me remove my wife from my App Store!

lonadar

Registered
Okay...I give.

Somehow, my wife's e-mail address and account have infested my App Store (Mac OS X 10.6.8).

* I'm running App Store under my user account on the computer.
* It shows me as logged in.
* I have confirmed and re-updated my settings on the Apple ID website and through the application.
* I can log into my App Store account.
* I can log into the iTunes Store using the same information.
* The "Updates" icon shows (8) and, when clicked, lists 8 updates for my wife's account.
* Apps that I want to install on my computer show as "Installed" when I haven't installed them.
* If I choose an app to purchase, a dialog comes down wanting me to log in and shows her e-mail address.
* Replacing it with mine would generate an Unknown Error #4.
* Apple says to make another Apple ID. That would be my third, thanks to an iTunes screwup they can't/won't fix.
* I do not want 1/2 my music in one ID, 1/2 in another, and my Apps in a third. No. No. No.
* No.
* Spotlight sucks at finding "App Store" or "Appstore", finding only the application.
* I deleted the preferences from ~/Library/Preferences, and AppStore from ~/Library/ApplicationSupport.
* I deleted the application.
* I downloaded the 10.6.6 updater.
* It would not run. (Duh, I'm at 10.6.8.)
* I used Pacifist to install the App Store.
* I have restarted somewhere in here.
* I run the App Store. It still lists all of my wife's updates.
* I still cannot download anything she already has through my account.
* I am able to download the FaceTime update.
* It shows as the only thing in my Purchases.
* I quit and re-ran the App Store.
* It STILL shows her updates.

I want to remove my wife's account from my App Store.

Help.

Send c/o the padded room down the hall.

Check iTunes -> HomeSharing and make sure you or your wife didn't link the accounts there.

HomeSharing requires one 'master' AppleID account in order to file share between iTunes. It may have linked them. Just a thought.

as far as finding files: I have found spotlight to be useless aside from a quick launcher of apps. I use an app called "EasyFind" which I have mapped to lauch on ctrl-F (I use an key mapper called "Spark" to make this work.) EasyFind searches the whole drive, directories etc. and invisible files, and in packages (.app contents). Hope that helps!

I was able to find the solution, and the reason for the issue, in a response on the Apple Support forums:

The App Store is scanning the Mac and finding purchased apps in the Applications folder. It then checks against the list and finds that they are old versions and prompts for an update.

All that is required to install an app is a Apple ID and admin rights on the target mac. The apps she is installing are wrapped in DRM which identify her as the owner, but the App Store doesn't care, as she is entitled to install them on your Mac. But it reads her ID from the wrapper and thus prompts for her password to do the update.

I had no idea it would be scanning for other downloads. Armed with that, I went looking (for this, Spotlight actually worked). I found where we had copied her hard drive from her laptop onto my computer in preparation for some repair work, and every one of the named applications was there. 101.7GB deleted later and without any need to reinstall the App Store was happy to accept me, and let me download programs.

Thanks for the assistance. I truly do appreciate it.

Back