Help! My Help screen keeps closing as it opens

Tony Milman

Registered
Hi, I am very new to MAC and loving it.

One small problem seems to be that when I open any Help screen either using the apple key or by using the Help button in the top bar, the Help screen opens briefly and closes before I can do anything else.

Can anyone help with this? I did try a search of the forum but couldn't find the answer

thanks

Tony

Open User>Library>Preference

Look for these files;

com.apple.help.plist
com.apple.helpui.plist
com.apple.helpviewer.plist

Drag to the trash and try the Help.

Hi Tony:

And, in addition to what bobw says, you could go Home > Library > Caches, find the com.apple.helpui folder, and rename it. If your problem goes away after this step, then trash the folder and empty the trash.

Thanks for the help. I found that after Bob's instructions the help function returned but it took the deletion of the cache to restore Mac help.

I am not too up on the technical side but if you have a moment to just explain what I have done and why it solved the problem/why the problem arose I would love to learn

thanks again......another great reason to move to Mac-

Tony

You've removed the Help preference files and the cache. Preference files can become corrupt and trashing them allows the program to create new preference files upon opening, same with cache.

The Ghost said:
Hi Tony:

And, in addition to what bobw says, you could go Home > Library > Caches, find the com.apple.helpui folder, and rename it. If your problem goes away after this step, then trash the folder and empty the trash.

Cool! I had a different problem but this worked too!
Everytime I opened Mac help, the processor took off, the fans all started working and I couldn't use the help window - it was all blank and nothing happened when I hit return after typing the search words... Now it's back again! thanks! :D

Back