Help: my user folder was duplicated!

kemistry

Registered
Hi,

today I logged into 10.2.3 as I ever did, but the desktop was empty and in default state. A closer look revealed that OS X had created a new user folder (with the same name!). So all my documents and settings are in the old folder still, but how do I get OS X to use the old one? log in as root and delete the newly created? In NetInfo there is just one user with my name!

any help?

I did not do anything special yesterday, so Ihave no idea, where this came from,

kemistry

Are you saying that two directories with the same name exist in the same location? That should be impossible. Did your user directory get renamed with an unprintable character or a space at the end?

The OS will recreate a user's home and Library directories if not found.

The Library folder contains all your preferences.

sorry, I was away from the net for some days.

jove: yes, there were 2 folders with exactly the same name, no spaces or other characters. I couldn't believe it myself, but it was true.

I finally moved my library and all folders from the old to the new folder and now I'm back with my prefs again.

I discovered that the new user folder, created by OS X belongs to the wheel group, my old one to the staff group.

There was no way convincing OS X to use the old folder. I logged in as root and deleted the new folder, when I logged back in as user a new one was created.

very strange.

Back