Help. My user information has disappeared!

Mutato

Registered
Hi,

Here's my machine:

Dual 2.5 gig G5 tower running Tiger 10.4.5
Stock 150 gig HD
2 Gig RAM

I was opening Garageband today and it told me that the apple loops were missing and to reimport them. I checked the folders where the loops are kept and they were still there. GB had somehow "lost" the connection. When I did a re-import, GB hung and I had to force quit. I did it again and it did the same thing.

I did a full shutdown and restarted. I was able to login to my user regularly. But now when the desktop appears, everything is generic, like it is a completely new user! Everything, I mean everything, is gone. My files in the Documents folder, the random desktop files, the Dock is missing all the apps I had added.

When I open Entourage, it's asking me to do a setup like I'm a new user. Likewise for iTunes etc... Safari has the generic bookmarks, none of mine!

My actual applications are still there and function normally.

Please help!

Thanks,
Martin

it sounds like you renamed your home folder. in a finder window, with the sidebar containg documents, photos, movies and your home folder, did you rename this home folder recently?

this is basically a feature they should have locked, but havent. renaming your home folder archives your old one and creates an entirely new set of folders and preferences for this 'new user', which get initiated at the next log in.

if you have renamed it, look in your hard drive under 'users'. there should be a folder for your old name, and the current name, which will have a house icon on it. simply rename your home folder exactly how the old folder shows it, and at next log in, it will look for that folder, and load all the presets from there.

Hi,

No, I didn't rename my home folder. I wish that was the case and could recover the files. I did use Data Rescue II to scan my hard drive. It found the files and recovered them to an external hard drive. BUT, they're pretty much useless, because all the files have new generic names like "QT00335.mov" etc...

It has them under three major folders called:
CBR
Martin's G5
Orphans Folder

It looks like my user somehow got corrupted versus archived.

Any other thoughts?

Back